PDA

View Full Version : The queen of Jhirna

Debasis Bose
02-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Wishing all the members of Indiawilds a very Happy and Prosperous New year 2017.

My first post of 2017 after return from Corbett yesterday.

Sighted this tiger on the seasonal stream bed called sot just outside our rest house. It was about 9.30 am, during the breakfast break was enjoying the morning sun in the lovely surrounding with a cup of tea. When the surrounding suddenly reverberated with calls of jungle folk (Sambar, Chital, Peacock and Rhesus Monkey) next to the electric fence. I picked up the camera and dashed towards the vantage point and looked at the monkeys direction of view and there she was, majestically walking past the sot...the seasonal river bed about 50 m from the rest house fencing. She stopped for a moment and looked at the monkeys sitting on the banyan tree, below which I was standing.

D4s, Nikon 300 F9, ISO 400, 1/640s. Corbett Tiger Reserve

Mrudul Godbole
03-01-2017, 05:16 PM
Wish you a Very Happy New year :). Lovely sighting to start a great year. Seems the light was slightly harsh. How long was the sighting? Thanks for sharing.

Debasis Bose
04-01-2017, 12:28 AM
Yes Mrudul madame, the light was harsh, as the sot was sandy and whitish in colour, thus reflected light combined with direct sunlight of a clear day produced the harsh effect. The sighting lasted for about 4 to 5 minutes. She marked her territory along the bank in the background, then drank water and lastly she majestically crossed the sot which must have been 100 to 120 m in width at that point. This visit we had some great tiger birds sighting, two tigress fought for territory and both were injured but one of them was badly injured, hope she survives through. Also, a good news is that I was forced to participate in Uttarakhand bird festival photography competition by my friend where some renowned photographers from India and abroad were competing, and to my surprise among them specially (some very well known photographers of India and abroad) my image was adjudged 2nd and was published in most of the leading newspapers and was broadcast in NEWS by most of the Uttarakhand news channel.

Saktipada Panigrahi
04-01-2017, 05:17 PM
The composition is nice. Nice to learn about the coveted recognition you deserved. Congratulations.

Wish You and All members and viewers of IndiaWilds a Happy and Golden New Year 2017.
Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild