PDA

View Full Version : Gaur handheld

Sabyasachi Patra
02-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Photographed this Gaur (Bos gaurus) in Bandipur Tiger Reserve last week.

Canon EOS 1D Mark II, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, EF 2xII, ISO 400, f5.6, 1/640, full frame, handheld.

It was tough handholding this at 800 mm.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mayank Kohli
02-09-2009, 10:03 PM
what a beast! look at the shoulder muscles..!

personally for me the shot is too tight..i would have loved to see some more grass in the foreground or some landscape at the back..but it looks like there were only brambles behind..

also i think the oof tail is a little distracting

had been a little later in the day the light would have favored you..

Mrudul Godbole
03-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Sharp image. Liked the pose. The muscles have really come out well. A bit more space on the top would have added to the composition further.

Atul Dhamankar
03-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Class image. Truely a boss!

Bibhav Behera
04-09-2009, 05:41 AM
Holy Cow... :eek: what muscles... Amazing strength these guys have... JUst yesterday, I was reading Kenneth Anderson's "Bagh the Tiger". There Bagh tries to attack one of these guys and fails, He is mauled badly by the herd.. Luckily he escapes... Anyone would dread locking eyes with these fellows up close.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-09-2009, 10:13 AM
Bibhav,
I was not locking eyes up close. It was with 800mm. :D
Handholding was too much of strain.

Kenneth Anderson's Bagh the Tiger is a fictional account, however, the behaviour mentioned is true. Normally, these fellows run away when we move closer. On several occassions they even runaway from me when I was on foot, even when they had small calves with them. Ofcourse they would attack when wounded or to defend.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
04-09-2009, 10:16 AM
yea i know.. but its so scintillating to read em. they are based on actual animal behaviour...