PDA

View Full Version : On high alert

Prajwal J Ullal
14-02-2017, 10:33 PM
ID: Weaver ants?

Had been on a look out for some macro subjects when I stumbled upon a pathway, essentially a cable wire and few dried coconut leaves which were running in between two trees. At first the path was busy with the ants running from one point to other, occasionally, carrying some load or dead ones. Eventually few of them became aware of some intruder, in form of me, and few took to some aggressive, defensive stance, as seen in this frame. The alerted ones would stand up straight on its hind four legs and raising its front legs and antennae with opened up mandible/jaws. It would stay in this posture for a moment and very swiftly change the position to get back to the same posture some cms away. Sometimes few more passing ants would join to this posture, while others kept upto the task of transferring stuffs.

EXIF:
Canon 550D
Canon 100mm macro
F/14
Shutterspeed 1/100
ISO 400
Handheld, Internal flash fired

Mrudul Godbole
27-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Nice behaviour captured. Wish the other ant was not directly behind it. I know you don't use ISO more than 400, but in this case I feel a bit more shutter speed would have been good to get more details. Thanks for sharing.