PDA

View Full Version : The Last few of the Swamp Francolin

Debasis Bose
23-02-2017, 08:40 PM
The swamp francolin is classified as vulnerable due to the rapid decline in its population, as a result of number of threats. In Manas, they are critically endangered, as per the guide only 300 odd were remaining in the wild of Manas, as almost the entire natural habitat of the swamp francolin is under intense pressure from the encroachment of people, deforestation, forest fire and man-made fires, as well as drainage for agriculture and irrigation. Another threat is the use of pesticides may be killing the swamp francolin indirectly, by poisoning its invertebrate prey and entering the swamp francolin’s food chain. It falls under vulnerable category of IUCN overall but in Manas it is critically endangered species.

Nikon D4s, Shot with Nikor 300 @ F9, ISO 1008, 1/320s

Samrat Sarkar
23-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Superb..very very shy bird..TFS

Saktipada Panigrahi
25-02-2017, 10:41 AM
Nice.The dense undergrowth throws a challenge you would like.
Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
27-02-2017, 09:27 AM
Nice one. The light was against you, so the eye has come dark. Wish there was a hint of catchlight in the eye. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
27-02-2017, 01:46 PM
Nice sighting in trying conditions. You have captured it well. Seems I have to make a trip to Manas soon :(. How many days were you in Manas? Thanks for sharing.

Subhash Shrivastava
27-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Congrats on sighting n photographing a rare bird. Let's hope against all the odds and pray that somehow these species find a way to survive. Thanks for sharing.

Debasis Bose
27-02-2017, 10:06 PM
Thank you all for the lovely comments.

Dear Mrudul Madame, I was there for 4 nights, the forest has many mysterious wildlife and the landscape is amazing. However, infrastructure, human encroachment, Bhutan and Indian military movement inside the forest, Bhutan citizens and Indian citizens passing through the border uses the forest road, which is the main thoroughfare of the wildlife too, manmade forest fire is very common. And it is apparent that human animal conflict is at its peak, as during my stay every night I did hear gun shots and beating of drums and tins etc. Animal sightings are rare but still the forest has lot to offer to any wildlife lover with keen eyes.