PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion Fly - Female

Sagar Patil
03-09-2009, 02:34 PM
This was also created at Sanjay Gandhi NP.

Sony H50 | F2.7 | 1/40 | ISO-160 | Auto Fucus - Macro

Abhishek was keeping extra interest in this insect (size 2 cm). Later came to know this was really amazing and different from many others.

This is female. Male has a prominent sting (same like scorpion) at its tail (it is male genital just for mating purpose).

Whereas female doesn't have that sting.

Waiting for Abhishek's shot ;)

Extra Innings: During mating, male offers a gift (caterpillar, small flies, bugs etc) to female. At the same time he secrets pheromone from his abdomen which attracts female. If female accepts his gift then male can continue with mating after searching her genital of his own. During copulation female spends her time in eating that food gift. :D Interestingly male has to offer a bigger gift, so female can eat it for more time. Once food is over, female will leave the male. So, they have to mate for several times in a single day, depending on the size of the gift/food.

Abhishek Jamalabad
03-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Good you got the ID... Indeed, I instantly became a fan of this creature:D Thanks for the extra info.
Why is there so much noise here? Big crop? Also, a high aperture is always needed for macro shooting.
I too could only get record shots :-(...I'll check and post if they're good. I think it was drizzling that time.

Sabyasachi Patra
03-09-2009, 05:15 PM
I wish you had moved to the other side so that the bright white stalk would not passed behind the head of this interesting insect. Also, You seem to be pointing your camera down. A lower angle would have been better in this case. The information about this scorpion fly is certainly interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
03-09-2009, 05:59 PM
Nice image. I think I had pointed out the white stick in the BG when you had taken the photograph. I think you had clicked a few images after that too, do post if you have any. Thanks for the interesting information.

Waititng to see Abhishek's photographs too.

Bibhav Behera
04-09-2009, 05:28 AM
Agree with Mrudul about the stick in the BG. The noise?