PDA

View Full Version : Bagheera

Rajan Kanagasabai
07-08-2017, 03:38 PM
Dusted out my photo gear for a trip to Kabini after almost a year and what did i run into . . .

Kabini - Zone A, 7/7/2017 around 8:30 AM. Cloudy day with low light

5D Mark IV, Canon EF 500mm F/4L IS II USM, F4.5, 1/320, ISO 800

regards
Rajan

Debasis Bose
07-08-2017, 11:45 PM
Picture is worth thousand words. You are fortunate to sight the ghost of the forest and beautifully captured the moment with your lens for lifetime. I dream to have such a sighting

Sabyasachi Patra
08-08-2017, 02:12 PM
Great to see this Rajan! I thought you have stopped photography. :) Congratulations on the sighting of a lifetime! How long was the sighting?

Was it a bit far off? Because of the complete black colour, soft skin the autofocus locks on areas with better contrast like leaves. During our black panther sighting, I found that a few of my vertical images were also slightly soft. Fortunately, I noticed it there and set it right while shooting.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Rajan Kanagasabai
08-08-2017, 02:40 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi, my apologies to start with, yes, its almost a year since i got to wildlife photography, though have been taking pictures during my business travels. My daughter is more into it these days and hence you'd have noticed her new toy - the Mark IV which i used on this trip.

On the sighting: Not really far off, though i did have to crop about 15% to avoid nearer foliage. The sighting lasted almost 25 mins. In fact there was a Leopard which probably is its mate, which made an appearance on the adjoining tree, and we were in a quandary on which one to focus on. Moreover, we had to leave the place as it was nearing gate closing time while the cat was still at its perch.

I have a few verticals as well and pictures of the second leopard, which i'll try and post soon.

Nice to be back with you folks on the forum and hope to be more regular.

thanks and regards
Rajan

Mrudul Godbole
08-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Its truly an amazing feeling to sight this rare species. If we carefully observe, the rosettes can be seen on the silky black coat. Lovely relaxed pose. Seems it is his favorite perch :). Thanks for sharing.

P.S - I think you missed us by a day :).

Rajan Kanagasabai
08-08-2017, 02:43 PM
Dusted out my photo gear for a trip to Kabini after almost a year and what did i run into . . .

Kabini - Zone A, 7/7/2017 around 8:30 AM. Cloudy day with low light

5D Mark IV, Canon EF 500mm F/4L IS II USM, F4.5, 1/320, ISO 800

regards
Rajan

I think i got the date wrong. It was 6th August 2017