PDA

View Full Version : The Fish of Corbett

Vikram Gupchup
17-01-2009, 05:35 PM
An Image showing fish in the Ramganga.

I was curious about which are the common types of fish in these waters.
I am sure I saw some kind of huge catfish ( the guides called it Mountain Shark!) I would really like to know what these were. All other fish more than a foot long were generalised as Mahaseer !

I had to over expose the rocks to bring out the fish under the water.

Sabyasachi Patra
19-01-2009, 06:18 PM
Vikram,
I am unable to make out from this image. However, I would go by your guess as well. Where was the photographed?

Vikram Gupchup
20-01-2009, 12:58 PM
This is at Corbett National Park

A.S.Chandrashekaran
20-01-2009, 01:44 PM
That's a school of Mahseer. Further info - Quote "The commonly sighted mahseer on the waters at the Corbett National Park are goonch, silver mahseer and black mahseer. The trained angler guide will teach you the nuances of angling the mighty mahseer. The Ramganga river is the lifeline of the Corbett tiger reserve and supports a wide array of aquatic life forms within like oters, crocodiles, fish eating gharials and fishing eagles, to name a few. Famed for the mighty mahseer, it is one of the finest rivers of north India for anglers. The largest mahseer catch in the last few years weighed 65 lbs. Other species in this river include malee, rohu and trout in certain sections.
The fish commonly seen in the rivers of Himalayan region are: Mahseer (Barbus tor putitora) and Goonch (popularly known as Catfish). Corbett Ramganga" Unquote.
Standing on the Lakshman Jula at Rishikesh and looking down into the Ganges one can see thousands of them - particularly when you chuck in a few morsels of food