PDA

View Full Version : Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro lens with IS announced

Sabyasachi Patra
07-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Canon has announced the launch of EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM. It is an addition to their prestigious L-series lineup. The EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM incorporates image stabilisation in a macro lens for the first time in the EOS lens range. It features the newly announced Hybrid IS system.

Their press release says" The new Hybrid IS system features up to 4-stop correction, compensating for the effects of camera shake, during normal shooting. Low friction ceramic balls support the moving elements, which allows for the amazingly smooth movement – needed when compensating for camera shake during macro shooting. Hybrid IS corrects shift movement – problematic when shooting up close -as well as angular movement providing photographers with the benefit of up to 2 stops at 1.0x magnification.

The EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM features ultra low dispersion (UD) lenses that correct colour aberration for high resolution, high contrast images while the addition of Super Spectra coatings effectively reduce ghosting and flare for superior quality images. A nine blade circular aperture makes subjects stand out amid beautiful background blur and a silent, high-speed ring type USM Autofocus motor quickly achieves focus. The lens also includes a three position focus limiter to tailor the focus system range to the desired subject".

The specifications are as follows:

Lens Focal Length & Maximum Aperture 100mm 1:2.8

Lens Construction 15 elements in 12 groups

Diagonal Angle of View 23.4°

Focus Adjustment Inner focusing system with USM. Full-time manual focus available.

Closest Focusing Distance 0.99 ft./0.3m (maximum close-up magnification: 1x)

Filter Size 67mm

Max. Diameter x Length, 3.1 x 4.8 in./77.7 x 123mm

Weight 625 gm

I think this lens can act as a macro as well as a general purpose lens. Lets see when I can get one in hand.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
08-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Seems like a good bet for a general purpose/ macro lens...

Rajan Kanagasabai
09-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Absolutely. Priced between 575-600 $US, this lens does pack a punch.

regards
Rajan

Bibhav Behera
09-09-2009, 09:01 AM
Hi Rajan,
I think it is priced more. I found it selling for 1049 USD both on BHPhotovideo and Amazon. It is an L series lens so i'm guessing the price would definitely be more than the 1000 USD mark...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/647011-USA/Canon_3554B002_EF_100mm_f_2_8L_Macro.html

Sabyasachi Patra
09-09-2009, 09:18 AM
The annouced is 1049 USD. However, there is a confusion in the market. The non IS version is about 600 USD. Infact, yesterday a shopkeeper quoted 28K INR as the price and then I realised that they are quoting the earlier non-IS version. Good that I didn't order one else, I would have landed with the non-IS version. Ofcourse, it is a nice less as well.

Mrudul Godbole
09-09-2009, 10:57 AM
That looks like a good buy for macro as well as for landscape photography. There are some good features also provided like compensating for the effects of camera shake and being L series the quality and sharpness will be amazing. Haev to look out for it :).

Rajan Kanagasabai
10-09-2009, 04:50 AM
oh, OK, thanks Bibhav for pointing this out.

In fact, i do not have a decent Macro and was contemplating on this one at 600USD . . . . . .

regards
Rajan