PDA

View Full Version : A Great Loss - Safe Driving Save Wildlife !

Sandipan Ghosh
25-12-2017, 12:56 PM
The Jungle Cat is listed as Least Concern on the IUCN Red List, but the sighting of this species is reducing day by day in towns and villages. Major threats to the jungle cat include habitat loss such as the destruction of wetlands, agricultural expansion, dam construction, environmental pollution, industrialisation and urbanisation. Nowadays a major threat is road accident because day by day the connectivity through metal roads is increasing in remote villages. Many mammals (e.g. Indian Golden Jackal, street dogs, Grey Mongoose etc.) and reptiles (Monitor Lizard and Snakes) are killed due to rick less driving of trucks and cars. During my daily visit, now I have found a dead body of Jungle Cat near Chandrapur Village, Bhatar, East Bardhaman, West Bengal. I find necessary to share this photograph with you.

Date Taken: Dec 20, 2017
Mobile Camera: GIONEE P7 Max
Focal Length: 3.5 mm
Shutter Speed: 1/180 sec
Aperture: f/2.2
ISO: 113

Shyamala Kumar
28-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Heart rending sight.How ironic that this rarely sighted elusive animal should have been photographed in this condition.I still do not have a decent image of this beautiful animal.Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
28-12-2017, 10:05 PM
Tragic. The same is happening to Fishing Cat in Howrah district where it was once so common. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
30-12-2017, 05:57 PM
Extremely sad to see this. These small carnivores who have a major role to play in our ecosystem are being wiped out due to speeding vehicles. There is hardly any underpasses in our highways so that these carnivores continue to die. Did you also click any vertical photo of this?

Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
09-01-2018, 02:05 PM
Its so sad to see these small carnivores getting killed by reckless drivers. Even on a small road it was not able to cross, definitely they don't stand a chance while crossing 4 lane highways :(. Some days back a leopard was killed on a highway near Bengaluru :(. Thanks for sharing.