PDA

View Full Version : When a foreign girl meets a country boy

Samrat Sarkar
25-02-2018, 10:10 AM
Photographed this image in our village in West Bengal a week ago. The Baillon's Crakes breed in mainly East Europe to Western part of Asia and migrate to our country in winter. This girl Baillon's Crake was a bit curious seeing a Black Drongo in our Boisa beel. Although they share a different niche the Black Drongo attacked that Crake just after clicking this frame:001_unsure:

Canon 7D + Canon 500mm f4 + Monopod
ISO 320, 1/1600, f5.6 -0.3 step, cropped.

Saktipada Panigrahi
25-02-2018, 11:36 AM
Rare frame. Lovely image.
Nice coincidence Samrat Bhai - Krishnan's article on Black Drongo was reprinted in The Sunday Statesman today.
Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Roshni Patel
26-02-2018, 10:16 AM
Loved the image and the caption which you give is really cool :)

Mrudul Godbole
27-02-2018, 09:57 AM
Nice title :). Agree with Saktida, I had just read about the behavior of Black Drongo in M.Krishnan's article, and you posted this image depicting the same behavior. How are the sightings there? Thanks for sharing.

Samrat Sarkar
28-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Thanks a lot Shaktida, Roshni ji and Mrudul ji..
I've not yet read that article...but the behaviour of drongo is too interesting...food habit of Baillon's Crake and Drongo are different although Drongo attacked that Crake...

Sightings are fine now a days in our village...some foreign birds are still there...

Samrat

Shyamala Kumar
28-02-2018, 08:39 PM
Interesting frame which includes such two divergent species of birds .The drongos like crows and bulbusl are extremely territorial and herd out migrants and vagrants from their established space.

Sabyasachi Patra
17-03-2018, 03:07 PM
Nice image. First I thought it is from mangalajodi. :) Drongo's are very aggressive and are known to snatch food from other birds. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi