PDA

View Full Version : Bulbul

Deepak Mistry
08-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Not sure of the latin name, but think it's commonly known as a Bulbul. Nikon D3300, Nikkor 70-300mm, f/8, 1/200, ISO 400

Sabyasachi Patra
12-04-2018, 09:12 AM
Red vented bulbul. I like the composition. For some reason I see less details in the bird. Is this a cropped image? If so how much is the crop? The shutter speed was 1/200. Normally the rule of thumb for sharp images that we use to follow in the earlier days before image stablisation is: Shutter speed =1/focal length.

So 300mm lens means shutter speed of 1/300. Also one should remember that if you crop then the imperfections in the image get magnified.

A slight increase in contrast will also give a perception of higher sharpness.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Disha Parchani
12-04-2018, 10:12 AM
Not sure about the name but the picture looks great to me. Agreed with Sabyasachi on contrast point.

Deepak Mistry
12-04-2018, 12:02 PM
Red vented bulbul. I like the composition. For some reason I see less details in the bird. Is this a cropped image? If so how much is the crop? The shutter speed was 1/200. Normally the rule of thumb for sharp images that we use to follow in the earlier days before image stablisation is: Shutter speed =1/focal length.

So 300mm lens means shutter speed of 1/300. Also one should remember that if you crop then the imperfections in the image get magnified.

A slight increase in contrast will also give a perception of higher sharpness.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Yes the pic is cropped a bit. 15% maybe. The bird was looking too small in the original image. The light was deminishing and I didn't want to increase the ISO further. Hence the shutter speed. Also since I was on a tripod I thought it should work.

Indeed, slight increase in contrast did increase the shapeness. Thanks.

Mrudul Godbole
16-04-2018, 11:54 AM
Nice perch and good eye contact. As you said the light was diminishing, you could have used a wider aperture like f7.1 or f6.3, that would have helped to get a higher shutter speed. Also please check the AF point. If the subject is smaller in the frame, the AF point can lock on the background. Thanks for sharing.