PDA

View Full Version : When the mimicry goes too far(interesting behaviour)

Prajwal J Ullal
02-09-2018, 08:14 PM
ID: Myrmarachne Ant Mimicking Spider

While enjoying some quality break with family, at my native place, observed an ant mimicking spider, very well resembling a black ant. While it was traversing the outside wall, probably on a look out for some preys, it seemed curious about a speck of sweet that was lodged onto the wall, probably accidentally fell off from the kids hands, and, interestingly, it kept very close to the speck of sweet, on close observation there seemed to be some small portion of it on its front member and it resembled feeding on it. Intrigued by this sight I decided to get the macro kit and have a closer view and also record the frame, and it kept on taking smaller bites off and fed on it, until after closer 6-7 mins it moved away, unsure if it was fed up of the flash illuminating the area or was full with the dose of sugar

EXIF:
Canon 80D
Canon 100mm macro + Raynox
F/16
Shutterspeed 1/125
ISO 320
Handheld, External flash fired

Mrudul Godbole
04-09-2018, 08:44 AM
Interesting observations. Good details in the eye. Its good you have your Macro kit ready :). Thanks for sharing.

Prajwal J Ullal
04-09-2018, 09:19 AM
Actually that 5-6min long interaction with the sweet let me get my camera and the lens, with Raynox and put on the flash with its diffuser, otherwise I would have missed it