PDA

View Full Version : Black jackal from W.Bengal

Vipin Sharma
14-10-2018, 06:29 PM
This is totally un-explainable , the black jackal are found in good population at wetland village near Kolkata.
We were in Kalbansh village of Amta, Howrah to work on a fishing cat .
I spent 7-days, working on the fishing cat and to my surprise black jackal were in good population , tried to search about them on Google as well but NO information was available about their morphology.
Capturing them is a challenge but not impossible since it is all night photography.
Have couple of images where golden and black jackal pair sitting together. Shall post soon.
Canon EOS 7D Mark II , Canon 300mm f/4 IS L USM , 1/50 , f/4 , handheld , -1/3 , 10% crop.

Saktipada Panigrahi
14-10-2018, 11:41 PM
Rare sighting. Fantastic image. Howrah district was once known for its fishing cats , now become rare.
" Very dark, almost black jackals (said to be not uncommon in North India) are quite rare in the peninsula, but occur in south-west." - M.Krishnan has observed during his study up to 1970.
Black morphological character may have some relationship with high rainfall, I think.
Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Prashant Gandhi
15-10-2018, 09:28 AM
Mindblowing click. I am waiting for next photos of golden jackal couple.

Murugan Anantharaman
15-10-2018, 05:30 PM
Quite a remarkable picture of the black jackal. I have never known jackals to be fully black, on googling found some pictures of black jackals found in kerala. For a moment I thought its a wolf with a black morph, thanks for sharing.

Mrudul Godbole
16-10-2018, 02:49 PM
Nature never stops to amaze us. Its remarkable that M.Krishnan had also observed this and made a note on it. Lovely pose and eye contact. Look forward to more from the series. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-10-2018, 05:47 PM
Interesting. Looks like fresh out of a gutter. :) How many of these did you find? How many sightings? Any sighting during the day? I like the angle as well as the pose and intent look. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Shyamala Kumar
17-10-2018, 08:56 AM
Fantastic sighting and record of a black jackal .I nearly thought it was a wolf . Thanks for sharing .

Vipin Sharma
18-10-2018, 08:14 PM
Interesting. Looks like fresh out of a gutter. :) How many of these did you find? How many sightings? Any sighting during the day? I like the angle as well as the pose and intent look. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dada , was there for fishing cat but one of my friend's team is working on black jackl DNA and have seen them chasing for their poo :crying::tongue_smilie: to get the DNA test done. I even have confirmation from couple of people that they do exist in Assam region as well. Have been traveling a lot , shall soon post a pic with golden jackal and black jackal (pair) in one frame. Shall be there soon again . I saw total four individual and one in camera trap. No sighting in day time , all sighting were in night. Photographing them is challenge in night but as I said NOT impossible.
For this image I was lying on road and kept my calm so as to make him comfortable to pose for me. :laugh::001_smile:

Vipin Sharma
18-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Rare sighting. Fantastic image. Howrah district was once known for its fishing cats , now become rare.
" Very dark, almost black jackals (said to be not uncommon in North India) are quite rare in the peninsula, but occur in south-west." - M.Krishnan has observed during his study up to 1970.
Black morphological character may have some relationship with high rainfall, I think.
Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Quote :
'Black morphological character may have some relationship with high rainfall''

Sir would love to have some details on above , how come a relationship with rainfall. :ohmy:

Disha Parchani
24-10-2018, 04:14 PM
Wooh! He is giving a perfect pose! What an amazing shot it is!

Neeraj Prasad
24-10-2018, 07:09 PM
Wow !! what a great shot