PDA

View Full Version : Monitor Lizard in evening sun

Sabyasachi Patra
12-04-2019, 11:57 AM
I found this Monitor Lizard basking in the evening Sun. There was lot of dried up branches and sticks so choose to get a close up of its head.

ISO 200, 800mm, f9, 1/125 second, full frame image.

Look forward to hear your critiques and comments.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
15-04-2019, 11:45 AM
Lovely close-up. Liked the details on the skin. If it feels comfortable, it can remain steady, which gives one ample time to get close and photograph it unhurriedly. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Murugan Anantharaman
22-04-2019, 08:14 AM
Thats a nice close up of the lizard, Sabyasachi. The pupils look dilated and the scales are worn and shiny, looks to be an aged adult. I have also noticed with monitors that they can let you come fairly close, in one of my trips to the Bornean rainforest last year I saw a fighting pair of monitor lizards and asked my boatman to go as close as possible without disturbing them. We could go as close as 2 feet from the bank and the lizards didn't get intimidated by my presence and were busy with themselves. Thanks for sharing.

Saktipada Panigrahi
29-04-2019, 03:09 PM
Nice close-up. It looks like Common Indian Monitor Lizard (Varanus bengalensis) but the body markings, location, time may enable one to know its identity. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Sabyasachi Patra
04-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Nice close-up. It looks like Common Indian Monitor Lizard (Varanus bengalensis) but the body markings, location, time may enable one to know its identity. Thanks for sharing. SaktiWild

Dada,
This image is from bharatpur. I had missed mentioning the location in the original post.

Regards,
Sabyasachi

Saktipada Panigrahi
05-05-2019, 10:32 AM
Shri Sabyasachi,

Common Indian/Bengal Monitor Lizard
(Varanus bengalensis), speckled brown in colour, may attain 3 ft. in length. This is smaller compared to Water Monitor Lizard (Varanus salvator) of Sundarbans or Bitharkanika which may grow upto 6 ft. in length.

Kind regards,
SaktiWild

Saktipada Panigrahi
05-05-2019, 01:04 PM
The Common Indian/Bengal Monitor Lizard
(varanus bengalensis) may attain length upto 5 - 5.5 ft. (not 3ft).
I sincerely regret for the error.
SaktiWild