PDA

View Full Version : A slick jumper

Prajwal J Ullal
28-04-2019, 08:32 PM
ID: Jumping spider, specific id help appreciated

Jumping spider, atleast for my knowledge, are well known for their jumping capability and also the major way of traversing the terrain/ foliage for capturing its prey. But at this instance, rather at a very unlikely place, at a major temple at my native place, spotted this beauty hopping onto the pillar of the temple and climbing up the structure, the twist came in the later stage when it hopped off the structure and, not sure if it had squirted out the web or was utilizing some other spider's web, but skillfully crossed the length of it onto the higher ground next to the temple. In my short exposure with spiders, havent experienced any such phenomenon and was almost awestruck, not enough to miss out on framing the moment though :)

EXIF:
Canon 80D
Canon 18-135 IS
F/9
Shutterspeed 1/50
ISO 500
Handheld, In built flash fired

Mrudul Godbole
03-05-2019, 10:40 AM
So it was travelling using a web, like a Spider-Man :). Good you could capture the action. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
29-05-2019, 04:03 PM
Haven't seen this behaviour myself, but jumpers do produce their own silken threads - they use it like a harness before each jump, so that if they miss their landing, they can get back to the previous position easily.

ID - Looks like Hyllus semicupreus.