PDA

View Full Version : Noctiluca (bioluminescent plankton)

Abhishek Jamalabad
31-05-2019, 11:17 AM
Noctiluca scintillans photgraphed at the surface of a tide pool | Goa

This is the tiny protist organism responsible for most instances of blue bioluminescence in sea water near the coasts. While the blooms are easily noticed by beachgoers at night, the individuals that cause it are not often seen. However, they are quite easily visible in the daytime if you search for them. The individual cells grow quite large when they are in a healthy bloom phase - almost the size of mustard seeds. The ones photographed here seemed to be a small set from a bloom spread across this seashore, every pool had some of them. Unfortunately, I couldn't notice anything at night, probably because the tide had diluted the bloom by then.

Canon 760D, Canon 100mm Macro USM at 1:1
SS 1/200
Av 13
ISO 400
Flash used
Cropped for detail

Mrudul Godbole
02-06-2019, 04:58 PM
Interesting.Nice to see and know more about them. Nicely captured. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
02-06-2019, 08:00 PM
This is very interesting. Tough scene to shoot. The light blobs reminds me about the images that I used to see in dad's microscope during childhood days.

How much of a crop is this? Some increase in contrast may be helpful. Thanks for sharing.

Abhishek Jamalabad
07-06-2019, 12:02 PM
Sabyasachi - I think it is close to 80% of a crop, at least. I played around quite a bit with the darks & lights, and then re-adjusted temperature & saturation to true levels. I chose not to push the contrast any further, but it might be worth a try.