PDA

View Full Version : The don of the leaf

Prajwal J Ullal
30-10-2019, 09:49 PM
ID: Spitting spider
Usually seen inside a leaf that has been intricately rolled in to form a refuge for the predator, these beauties tend to stay calmly waiting for some unsuspecting prey to pass by its close proximity, only for it to spit out the web and catch them. These, usually spotted during the monsoon season, not sure if they are seen in the other seasons too, look pretty primitive as compared to the other arachnid, apart fr0m the , not so much related, harvestman. This particular one seemed a bit disturbed by my presence, it came out of the safe area, probably in an attempt to run off from the limelight, but it seemed as if it was intimidating me, by posing on the edge.
EXIF:
Canon 80D
Canon 100mm macro
F/10
Shutterspeed 1/100
ISO 320
Handheld, external flash fired

Mrudul Godbole
31-10-2019, 02:01 PM
It is interesting to see how each species have their own peculiar way to hunt. Thinking, presently the spider is on the (right) outer edge of the rolled leaf, had it been on the left edge, then you could have framed it with the rolled leaf (on the right side). That would have enhanced the composition further and helped to show the leaf in full as well. Just wishful thinking :). You have captured it well in the given condition. Thanks for sharing these interesting details.

Sabyasachi Patra
15-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Interesting to see this at the edge of the leaf. This looks nice. The flash is better controlled. I agree with Mrudul's point regarding composition. However, we don't always get what we wish for. Good that you observed this behaviour. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi