PDA

View Full Version : The bubble bath baby

Prajwal J Ullal
13-11-2019, 09:40 PM
ID: Spittle bug(froghopper nymph)

A very mysterious insects of the insectdom, these tiny, almost 2-3mm long, beauties seem to rely on these froth, as a medium to protect itself from the predators as well as a way to transform itself into the froghopper form(correct me if am wrong). These sap suckers, usually generate these foam by blowing bubbles through their abdomen by combining the air and the urine along with some sticky fluid, and have been observed to generate urine almost 150-280 times its body weight, making it possible to make the massive frothy foam.
(Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/19/science/spittlebugs-bubble-home.html)
While the same plant had a couple of foamy blobs, these two seemed to look out for an ideal location to generate the protective layers.

EXIF:
Canon 80D
Canon 100mm macro + Raynox
F/13
Shutterspeed 1/125
ISO 320
Handheld, External flash fired

Mrudul Godbole
14-11-2019, 11:33 AM
Its great that you keep trying to capture some different behavior of the macro world. Its so interesting that even these minute beings have a way to protect themselves from the predators :). Good details in the bubbles. The black dot on the one in the left, is its eye? Thanks for sharing the details. Look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
17-11-2019, 01:33 PM
This is very interesting behaviour and nicely documented. I am sure when kids see this their imagination and curiosity will be further aroused. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Prajwal J Ullal
17-11-2019, 09:37 PM
@Mrudul, yeah, I think its the eye of the spittle bug, not sure if its a developed one or not