PDA

View Full Version : Common picturewing

Dipankar Mazumdar
19-09-2009, 01:25 PM
Common Picturewing at the Okhla Bird Park.

EOS 50D, 300F4+ 1.4X ii ,F10, 1/250, -0.7 EX.COMP., ISO 800

looking forward to Comments and Critiques

Mrudul Godbole
19-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Lovely mix of colours. I liked the perch and the details on the wings and the body. Nice clear BG. Looks like there is some noise in the image. Nice composition.

Bibhav Behera
19-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice image. The background is clean... A bit more sharpness. but then that would accentuate the noise...

Sabyasachi Patra
19-09-2009, 08:12 PM
Dipankar,
The background is nicely diffused. I like the composition. Light appears to be low. Were you handholding? Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Dipankar Mazumdar
20-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Thanks all for the comments,

@ Sabhyasachi da : Yes it was an early morning amongst the reeds in the okhla bird park and it was a bit muggy, this was on a tripod, why do you ask??......do you think there is some shake???

@ Bibhav : I did no PP here,I was rather pleased with the output as it is, so just resized the image.

@Mridul...Please dont mind the Noise, after all this is a 50D....the noisy equivalent of a scilencer less Enfield Bullet...!!!!...BTW this result at 800 ISO is much better than what i have been getting at 200 ISO.

Sabyasachi Patra
20-09-2009, 11:20 AM
Dipankar,
Your shutter speed was 1/250. So I wanted to know whether it was on tripod or handheld. The sharpness should have been a bit higher. Was the butterfly fluttering its wings? The head portion seems fine. I tried a little bit of sharpening and it comes ok.

As far as noise is concerned, I don't know why noise can be better at ISO 800 than ISO 200. The noise in the shadow areas is high in case of the 50D. So it is better to ensure that the histogram is very nearly to the right frame without touching it. Switch on your highlight alert. So when there is overexposure leading to loss of details in the whites, it will blink. If there is a very small highlight blinking then you can recover it during processing.

Also remember that whenever we pull up the exposure during processing, we get more noise. So it is better to be careful during photographing. It is better to keep a watch on your histogram during photographing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi