PDA

View Full Version : Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5-5X Ultra Macro Lens

Paramvir Singh
10-06-2020, 06:54 AM
Being a Nikon user I have always wanted an ultra macro for tiny wildflowers. All of Nikon’s Macro lenses are at 1:1.

Finally Venus Lens has launched the Laowa 25mm F/2.8 2.5-5X (https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-25mm-f-2-8-2-5-5x-ultra-macro-2/) Ultra Macro Lens. Order it in a lens mount of your choice.

It’s great for subjects smaller than 1cm.

The lens is in all probability a manual focus one. Wish it were auto focus. Also wish I could test one before buying.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-06-2020, 06:46 PM
Definitely an interesting lens. However, it doesn't have any image stabilisation. Nevertheless, the 5X is going to be very handy for many subjects. I feel macro is one of the very difficult areas to film. Do let us know if you are get your hands on this lens.

Paramvir Singh
05-07-2020, 06:44 AM
Most macro lenses of this magnification won’t with IS. Perhaps rely on body for that.
Also lack of auto focus and aperture controls is annoying but there doesn’t seem to be a choice.

I have been photographing wild flowers and some of them are so tiny, maybe 1-1.5mm I always wanted a higher magnification macro. Seems no one makes it. Canon ha s the MPE65 5x macro but is very expensive. For other camera systems there wasn’t anything. I am not a fan of reversing my lens in the field. This seems to be the only option. I have asked for a test piece, I doubt I will get it.