PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Z6 : Fabulous for Video

Paramvir Singh
10-06-2020, 06:59 AM
Nikon’s new Z6 Mirrorless is a fabulous option for video makers.

Offering uncropped 4K, Nikon is now offering a USD200 Film makers Upgrade Kit (https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/mirrorless-cameras/firmware-updates/prores-raw.page) which enables 12bit 4K ProRes RAW over HDMI to an external recorder like Atomos.

Being a professional Cinematographer, I know how much this means.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-06-2020, 06:50 PM
12bit in 4K is huge and that too in ProRes Raw . These small cameras are becoming very good.

I have never used the ProRes Raw till now. I wonder why other cameras are not directly including ProRes raw option.

Paramvir Singh
20-06-2020, 06:38 AM
I guess it’s a processing and licensing issue. Plus there are other concerns like throughout requirements of recording media.

I have been wanting to buy the Panasonic AGCX350 because it records 400 Mbps MOV 10 bit 4K. That’s fantastic value. But for that recording, I need either an external atomos recorder which will cost a bomb or V90 series cards which are so so expensive.

Panasonic SDXC V90 cards which ar required for that high quality cost a stunning Rs 27-30,000 for 64GB which you will fill up in about 45 minutes. I couldn’t even find a card to test.

These cards cost half as much in the sA though.

Sabyasachi Patra
28-06-2020, 11:52 AM
Personally, I am firmly in the Canon ecosystem with the Canon Cinema C300, Canon 1DXII etc. The newly launched C500 II, C300III and 1DXIII all use CFexpress cards. Due to corona, haven't bought the new cameras. Nevertheless, frequent changing of formats and expensive cards is becoming tough to handle. And add the external hard disks to it. :-)