PDA

View Full Version : The pseudo worker

Prajwal J Ullal
13-03-2021, 10:56 AM
ID: Yellow crazy ant carrying dead stink bug

While resting for a while, after spending ample time traversing the trail in the mid day heat, we spotted this interesting sight of the ants carrying a dead stink bug. The ants were trying to traverse a precarious terrain, which had loads of dead twigs on its way leading to stalling the movement, aiding us to get closer shot of the beauties at work. But what interested me was this sight of few ants that had sat over the body of the bug, with no connection with the ground or the twigs, and were attempting to pull it off. Probably just a superficial effort being put in, reminding me of one of the scenes in legendary Charlie Chaplin’s, or the one that is usually ripped of in any of the animation videos.

EXIF:
Canon 80D
Canon 100mm macro + Raynox
F/16
Shutterspeed 1/200
ISO 500

Handheld, built in flash fired

Mrudul Godbole
15-03-2021, 10:56 AM
Interesting observation. The ants on the top are trying to help to pull the bug, maybe they are biting off some parts? There would be some explaination behind this behaviour. Good to know :). Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
23-03-2021, 03:00 PM
Ants have very precise communication with each other. So I don't think these ants on the top are on a joy ride.