PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday's snap

Dr Hari Venkatesh K R
05-10-2009, 09:31 AM
it was captured near Agumbe...it was dusk and things were darker...and fully covered by fog...Aperture 3.5 and shutter speed 30"...Please do guide me with shutter speed...in which i had captured it...it was the lowest shutter speed in the camera..it showed NR 30"..but i dint understand what it is..it took a long time for capturing it...i had posted the picture as such without processing or altering it

Bibhav Behera
05-10-2009, 09:39 AM
Nice image. Good experimentation... :)
dont know abt the NR 30"
the white balance seems to have shifted towards the cooler side... That can be set in camera when shooting in night or in low light...

Mrudul Godbole
05-10-2009, 05:35 PM
Hi Hari,

Nice composition. The image is underexposed. When I checked the graph, it was totally on the left side. While trying to recover the details, the whites were getting overexposed. I have attached the graph for your reference.

Were you photographing on Auto mode? Since the light was low, the shutter speed was 30" and so it was taking a long time to capture the image. At such time you could have increased the exposure. You can refer to the following thread for more details on exposure -

http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9634#post9634

Feel free to ask if you have any doubts. Keep posting...

Sabyasachi Patra
05-10-2009, 06:40 PM
The image is underexposed by nearly two stops. White balance is an issue here. Incorrect use of white balance has rendered it as deep blue.

The colour temperature of earlier morning and evening light is low and it gives a warm reddish hue. They are referred to as warm light. Colour temperature of at noon is much higher and it is bluer. However, when we process our images, in the temperature slider the effect is just the reverse. That is if we move the temperature slider to the left it becomes blue and when we move it to the right it becomes red.

Since our cameras can't distinguish the light as our eyes are capable of, we need to set the white balance. Most of the times the white balance does a very good job though. If we manually set the white balance lower that is at a lower temperature setting than is actual, then the camera will try to compensate for that. For eg. if the actual colour temperature of the scene is say around 5500k ie. around daylight temp. And you set the scene at 4500k, that means we are telling that the scene is more warm ie reddish. So the camera will compensate by adding a more bluish tint to neutralise it. However, in reality since the scene didn't have that bluish tint, the resulting image will become more blue.

The shutter speed you used was 30 seconds. It should be the slowest shutter speed. I don't know at what ISO you were shooting. However, 30 seconds at 3.5 aperture and still underexposure means the scene might be dark. You needed a stable tripod. And you have to give a positive exposure compensation. I am not sure, if your camera has got a B mode which we have in our manual modes. It is known as bulb mode in the manual cameras. Better to use a tripod, timer cable release. I have to actually check the specs of your camera to comment further on this aspect.

Dr Hari Venkatesh K R
06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
thank u sirs for ur keen response...actually to be frank i hardly grasp all ur comments..since am a layman in the field of photography.:(..i understand the things very slowly...i used to shoot with auto mode before, after becoming a member in IW, ther is a lot that i hav learnt...now i use manual mode itself, i feel somewhat better with it now...but about the usage of white balance, histogram, ISO etc., i basically have no idea at all...now when i checked the white balance was off in my camera and ISO is permanently 125 itself which was set earlier...as i had no idea about those i dint go to alter those...;)
and mine is not a DSLR too...its an ordinary one..i dont know whether these options are ther in it or not...but that B mode is absent...and about the boxes of the histogram am confused whether it is ther or not:D, but after mrudul had given the reference of a thread i hav got some idea about that..
now a days i hav started carrying a tripod with me..thats also an ordinary one...but helpful
for me photography was a hobby before...but now i wonder how much has to understood yet...how critically people analyz it...my goodness and am a very below average student of all u people...:cool:...have to learn more...thanx again for all ur critics...i will digest them slowly...and try it out in a better way