PDA

View Full Version : Dolphin named as India’s national aquatic animal

Mrudul Godbole
11-10-2009, 08:49 PM
By M Rama Rao, India Editor, Asian Tribune
New Delhi, 06 October (Asiantribune.com):
India has declared the dolphin as its national aquatic animal. The move is a part of the all-out effort to save the rare freshwater species from disappearing from the country’s aqua-map.

There are less than 2,000 dolphins left in India, prompting the World Conservation Union to declare it as an endangered species.

India has a national bird and national animal. But this is the first time an aquatic animal is given national status.

The Minister for Environment and Forests Jairam Ramesh told reporters here that the decision was taken at the first meeting of the National Ganga River Basin Authority held here with the prime minister in chair.

“Like we have tiger as a national animal and peacock as a national bird, we have declared dolphin as a national aquatic animal as it represents the health of the rivers, particularly Ganga”, Ramesh said.

Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar had proposed naming dolphins as national aquatic animal at the meeting. Prime Minister accepted the suggestion.

By declaring dolphins as a national aquatic animal, the Government hopes not only to ensure the survival of the species which are endemic to river Ganga but also seek cleansing of the river.

Ramesh said just as the big cat is a symbol of ecosystem in forests, the presence of the river dolphin in a river system signifies a healthy aquatic life in freshwaters of rivers. ‘Since the river dolphin is at the apex of the aquatic food chain, its presence in adequate numbers symbolizes greater bio diversity in the river system’.

Link - http://www.asiantribune.com/news/2009/10/05/dolphin-named-india%E2%80%99s-national-aquatic-animal

Sabyasachi Patra
11-10-2009, 10:37 PM
I hope this doesn't remain as a gimmick and we take serious steps in saving these beautiful Irrawaddy dolphins. Tiger is our national animal and our steps to save them are falling short. So naming a species as the National Animal wont help in its survival.

Recently we heard that dolphins have become extinct in the Yangtze river in china. I hope we learn from this debacle and ensure our rivers free from pollution and poaching so that these dolphins would thrive again.

Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
12-10-2009, 02:53 AM
I agree with Sabyasachi. BTW it is the Gangetic Dolphin which has been named the national aquatic animal.

Ranbir Mahapatra
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
It all boils down to habitat protection. A healthy habitat is the insurance for a thriving wildlife population.

Jairam Ramesh is a smart, erudite politician and has been making all the right noises. There was an element of bravado in the Cheetah relocation plan, but I believe its an earnest initiative from the Minister.

This is definitely a welcome change from the moribund state of the MoEF in the previous administration. But as Sabyasachi, Bibhav pointed out, strict action needs to be taken to reverse the spiralling loss of habitat for our wildlife.

The Gangetic Dolphin is indeed at the crux of the conservation story in India.

The Ganges is an Indian cultural institution. Since the ages she has been the genesis of an entire civilization. But that had its downside too - Ganges has also been at the receiving end; be it the melting glaciers of Himalayas, industrial waste, human waste etc being dumped into this river indiscriminately.

Rivers are more dynamic and hence the ecological impact on them spread that much faster. Hence, I am worried about the Gangetic Dolphin.

Project Tiger was a marquee initiative - it was supposed to rally the govt and the public to protect the Tiger and its habitat. Unfortunately the rally has been rather lopsided.

I hope making the Gangetic dolphin as India's National Aquatic Animal has more "dum" in it.

Rajeev Mathew
12-10-2009, 11:50 AM
While talking about endangered animals - I've got disturbing news that TIGERS have gone the Sariska / Panna way at Thekkaddy (Periyar Tiger Reserve), Kerala. Can someone prove me wrong? I shall be happy for it.

Cheers,

Rajeev M.

Mrudul Godbole
28-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Posting this news, as it is connected to the topic.

Bihar bans hunting of dolphins

PATNA: Alarmed by a steady decline in the number of dolphins, declared a national aquatic animal by the Prime Minister, Bihar chief minister

Nitish Kumar has ordered a strict enforcement of the ban on the hunting of the man's best friend.

Official sources said Nitish has directed the district magistrates of Patna, Bhagalpur and Buxar to see that the ban order has been adhered to.

Officials have been asked to keep close surveillance along the Ganga river banks to stop the hunting, the District Magistrate of Patna, J K Sinha, said.

Patna and Bhagalpur districts are the two districts where dolphins have been reportedly found dead in the past

The decision to declare the Ganga dolphin as an Indian national aquatic animal was taken at a meeting of the newly-formed Ganga River Basin Authority in New Delhi that called for accelerated steps to clean up the river.

The meeting, which took place early this month, was chaired by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

Early this year, alarmed at the death of about six endangered Ganga river dolphins in Bihar, wildlife activists had called for urgent action.

Around six dolphins were killed by poachers and fishermen in the last one month alone in the Vikramshila Gangetic Dolphin Sanctuary, one of the four freshwater dolphin sanctuaries in the world.

Link -http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/environment/flora-fauna/Bihar-bans-hunting-of-dolphins-/articleshow/5169151.cms