17-10-2009, 10:38 AM
@ Kabini. Image has been cropped

1/180, f 5.6, 280mm.

Rgds

Manoj

Sabyasachi Patra
17-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Hi Manoj,
I find that you were using a Nikon D90. Were you using a 70-300 lens?

Did you use a cloudy white balance while post processing. This looks to be a bit warmed up.

I couldn't find the ISO information in the EXIF details. What ISO were you using? I would have liked this image at a narrow aperture say f8.

Portions of the sky are blown up. You can use the recover tool to recover that. I would also add a little bit of fill light during post processing. Which software do you use for post processing? I am assuming that this image was photographed in RAW?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Manoj Bawa
17-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi for your critique.

I am indeed using a D90 and it was the 70-300 ED VR lens. Surprisingly the ISO information is not available in the EXIF details but I would think it would be 200 which is the default I normally use.

You are also correct in the WB setting being on 'cloudy' as I prefer the warmer shades in the Nikon. I am also trying to get this by adjusting the default white balance settings.

Though I have shot this image in RAW as well, the photograph uploaded is the JPEG version. The only changes I incorporate (at times) is through Picasa. After attending a photography session by AB Apana (which helped my technique) , I have downloaded RAW Therapee software and plan on starting some post processing activity! This is my next goal and your inputs above are of great help.

With regards

Manoj

Bibhav Behera
17-10-2009, 04:54 PM
The stare is nice. I find the angle a bit steep... The perched branch looks interesting. You can upload images upto 800 pixels on the largest side... Thanks for sharing...

Manoj Bawa
17-10-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks Bibhav for your comments. We were in a jeep close to the perch and did not want to disturb the bird by backing the vehicle.

With regards

Manoj

Sabyasachi Patra
17-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Manoj,
I don't use Picassa or the Raw therapee. So won't be able to comment much. I think Mrudul and Rajan have idea about Picassa and can help you out in the processing. I use Lightroom for the Raw processing. Most of our good images don't need much of processing. It is better to shoot in RAW as that is like a digital negative. Jpeg is a lossy compression.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
17-10-2009, 11:15 PM
Nice perch. Liked the eye contact. Some more space below would have been good.

I have used Picasa, but it is not a professional processing software. I normally use Lightroom. It would be good if you install Lightroom for converting your images from RAW to jpeg and for post processing. If you have any doubts please feel free to ask.