PDA

View Full Version : Gaur...

Bibhav Behera
18-10-2009, 11:14 AM
This is from Parambikulam. The light wasnt ideal, and I didnt want to push the ISO above 200 unless absolutely required. I guess it was required in this case :(
Shot from the roof of the vehicle to stabilise with a towel at the base.

Nikon D80 with 18-135 (Full Frame)
SS 1/20
F 5.6
ISO 200

PS: File size was big and had to pull down the quality slider to 60% with 150 pixels/inch resolution

Sabyasachi Patra
18-10-2009, 11:33 AM
I wish you had got it in better light. In Parambikulam, due to biotic pressures, they gaurs are mostly seen early in the morning or late in the evening.

Unfortunately, Nikon doesn't have a mirror lock up. Well they have a mirror lock up setting but not for photographing. It is for sensor cleaning. Nikon though has a delay timer. I don't consider it even as a poor mans Mirror Lock up. But you can try to use that. :-)

The shutter speed was low. I would prefer to fire a burst in this scenario. It is better to do it from the window with a bean bag. At times trying to balance yourself and clicking from the roof can induce more of shake. A lower angle would have been better.

Praveen Siddannavar
20-10-2009, 06:53 PM
Nice Image Bibhav, looks like the light is a bit too harsh in this case.

I have a question to Sabyasachi or open to the forum as well - Which is the best mode to shot wildlife, i am making lot of attempts to shot in AV mode but given the conditions while in safari vehicles by the time we try and adjust the mode and settings the animal vanishes or in many cases we miss opportunity to get the right shot. So in some cases I still prefer to shot in sports, pl advise