PDA

View Full Version : Tigress/Ranthambore Series...

Praveen Siddannavar
20-10-2009, 07:04 PM
Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Date/Time 10/16/2009 4:18:46 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/80
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
Metering Mode Center-Weighted Average Metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 400
Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal Length 235.0 mm

Sabyasachi Patra
20-10-2009, 08:43 PM
Praveen,
This is a nice sighting. Is this full frame or crop? The composition is nice. The eye contact is good. The overall image is a bit dark. The dark portions in the water (for eg. the rock face near water), some portions of water and the blacks stripes, especially in the face have lost details ie. the blacks look completely black without any detail. The image needs atleast 2/3rd stop increase in brightness.

It is better to have a quick look at the histogram and confirm if one is in doubt. Ofcourse, in the presence of a tiger one can always forget. :D The evaluative metering of Canon very nearly does the job in all lighting conditions. You can stick to that and give a exposure compensation whenever required.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
20-10-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Sabyasachi I agree to your points and appreciate the observations made. Yes it is a crop but just about 10-15%.

I have tried to make some changes in post processing and posting edited image let me know if this is ok. Also as mentioned earlier it will be nice if you can put some basic steps for post processing.
Thanks,

Bibhav Behera
20-10-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree with Sabyasachi. The image seems dark. The sharpness seems a bit low this time. Processing and resizing probably caused it...

Mrudul Godbole
20-10-2009, 10:10 PM
Nice image. Liked the direct stare. This is a nice tiger in environment photograph. Moving the slider to increase the brightness creates noise, better to check the histogram, to get it right in the field, which I too forget when photographing a tiger :).

Look forward to more from Ranthambore..

Sabyasachi Patra
20-10-2009, 10:31 PM
I think you uploaded a larger file size so the sharpness has gone down. I could not recover the blacks. But I increased the brightness, pulled up the shadows. You could do better with your original file. I will post my workflow soon.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi