PDA

View Full Version : If only Tigers could Vote !

Monojit Chintey
23-10-2009, 02:43 PM
Assam located in the northeastern part of India, covers an area of around 78,500 sq.km. It forms part of the global bio-diversity hot spot with its diverse wildlife forms. Assam forms part of the Indian Zoogeographic Subregion within the Oriental Zoogeographic Region. But looking at microlevel details, then the areas south of the Brahmaputra river seems to be part of the Indo Chinese Subregion while Indian subregion lies towards north of the river. The fact being Assam is located in the transitional zone between the Indian and the Indo-Chinese Sub region where many Indian species have their easternmost limit of distribution. This region also forms part of two endemic bird areas, the Eastern Himalayas and the Assam plains.

The mammals of Assam in general have affinity to the Indo-Chinese group. There are 14 species of monkeys, in Assam which constitute roughly about 1/6th of the world. There are 19 cat families in Assam against all India number of 27 cat families. Quite a good number of tigers are found in the region especially in the protected areas such as the Manas Tiger reserve. Out of the 1200 species of birds in Indian sub-continent; Assam alone possesses about 950 species. Besides the common species, a large number of rare and endangered birds including waterfowls are found which also include winter visitors to the state from faraway places like Siberia, Manchuria and Tibet. Crocodiles, snakes, terrapins and monitor lizards with their various species represent the reptiles of the region. Crocodiles are found mainly in the Brahmaputra River, but these have become extremely rare nowadays.

To conserve and preserve the biodiversity of the state 25 protected areas have been notified. These include 5 national parks, 18 wildlife sanctuaries and two proposed Wildlife sanctuaries. The protected area network covers a very insignificant proportion of about 3.2% of total geographical area of the State. Some of the important national parks and wildlife sanctuaries located in Assam are, Kaziranga National Park, Manas National Park (Tiger Project), Orang National Park, Dibru-Saikhowa National Park, Nameri National Park, Garampani Wildlife Sanctuary, Bornodi Wildlife Sanctuary, Pabitora Wildlife Sanctuary, Laokhowa Wildlife Sanctuary etc.

Many NGOs like the WWF India, Rhino Foundation, Green Heart, Natures Beckon etc have been supplementing the governments efforts in saving the rich biodiversity of the region.

But and a big "But" this is !

Despite the sincere efforts of the active NGOs of the state, the destruction of Assam's forests and wildlife continues unabated. Recently there was a news article that described how a tiger reserve near the Nagaon district in Assam was being de-reserved for the tigers to make way for humans (most likely from Bangladesh). The area forms part of the electoral constituency of a powerful minister. He wants to please his voters by giving them more land -- poor tigers, unfortunately for them, do not have the right of franchise.

Thus being the state of affairs in Assam ! :eek:

Siddhartha Gogoi
23-10-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi,

In reference to your Article I would like to state that there are only three tiger reserves in Assam namely, Nameri, Manas and Kaziranga and none of them have been de-reserved and the information is not correct at all. The nearest Tiger Reserve near Nagaon is Kaziranga and it has definitely not been de-reserved. Thus it would be very hepful if the author of the Article does a thorough ground study before writing about something which is not correct at all and this questions "someones" inexperience in this Field. And please refrain from using such statements (which in no way means that the indigenious people of assam like to monkey around a lot...;)) which in no way looked cool or funny to me. A request to Moderators please screen and filter Article's if it's feasible before letting it get published. We use Forums to explore possibilites of exchanging ideas and notes to help understand and conserve wildlife and that should be our only purpose. Appreciate it.

Thanks,
Sidd

Ranbir Mahapatra
23-10-2009, 03:59 PM
Siddhartha. Appreciate your concern. We have removed the offending section.
I personally felt Monojit passed a harmless joke - though a politically incorrect one. Nevertheless, lets use the forum for high decibel constructive exchange of ideas.

Cheers
Ranbir

Monojit Chintey
23-10-2009, 04:26 PM
Much appreciate your reaction to the post ~!

The post was as a response to my discussion with one of a senior wildlife forest official in assam, who happens to be a very close family friend of mine.

Nevertheless, i stand corrected. If this has not happened i guess it is a wonderful thing..and hope all the well meaning efforts of our conservationist friends is bearing fruit.

No offense meant ...that was just lighten up a other wise bland post.
Apparently Saby (sabyasachi patra) and myself are too used to pulling each others leg's ...(from our time of having worked together) guess this became evident as a spill over in the post. My Apologies if this has offended you ...this was never the intention !

By the way in case you did not realise, i am a assamese too ! :)

Monojit

Siddhartha Gogoi
23-10-2009, 06:13 PM
;)Hi,

I truly appreciate your prompt positive response Monojit :), and thanks Ranbir for the action. Hope to meet you someday in the Field :)

cheers,
Sidd

Sabyasachi Patra
23-10-2009, 08:15 PM
I have no information about denotification of Sanctuaries or part of any tiger reserve in Assam. However, nothing in this world is impossible. A vast portion (about 1000 sq. kms) of the Nagarjunasagar-Srisailam Tiger Reserve (NSTR) was denotified after notifying the rest of the area as Critical Tiger Habitat. This was in line with the amendments made to the Wildlife protection act in 2006. I am not sure if any similar effort is being undertaken in Assam. I would love some more information on the same.

I agree that Tigers don't have the right to vote. And people like us who understand the importance of conservation, often do not vote. I saw all our Finnish colleagues go to their embassy and vote. Though one can argue about making the voting process easier, I would like to point out the seriousness of people. In a number of cases, people go on a holiday. I guess it is time to introduce some penalty for not voting. Well, having digressed from the topic, I would like to mention that it would also help if we can educate the masses who go out and vote.

It is also important, that the Seven sisters - the north east states - should be compensated for maintaining their forests. Infact, that would be a way of recognising that our forests are our true wealth. They are basically our heart and lungs. Without our forests we not only lose our water sources, but also the loss of each species of flora and fauna impacts us. For eg. farmers in China have resorted to the tedious task of pollinating themselves for want of bees and butterflies. We have to realise that our developmental model is flawed and hence start compensating the states that maintain their natural wealth.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi