Max Aperture - F1
Exp Bias - 0.67 EV
FL - 55mm
F # - 5.6
Exp Time - 1/125 Sec

Bibhav Behera
28-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Hi Sohail,
The composition looks nice. The diagonally placed web pattern looks nice.
The sharpness/focus is an issue here. the image is not entirely in focus. Im not sure of the exact focus point. Using a higher F number like F8 would have brought the spider into focus...

Thanks for sharing...

Sohail Jairaj
28-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Thanks Bibhav.

You know what, I increased the image size and lost the clarity on this.

The original shot and post processing Photo looks definately a little better than this one.

Can I replace this image that I have uploaded? I tried looking for an option but dint find one.

Bibhav Behera
28-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi Sohail,
You probably uploaded an image greater than 200 Kb. If so, then the site resizes the file automatically and the image loses sharpness. There should be an edit button at the bottom right corner of your post. You can use that to go to the edit page and click on 'go advanced' to change the uploaded image.

Sohail Jairaj
28-10-2009, 03:31 PM
Thanks a lot Bibhav.

I will also re-add the Green Damselfly image as well!

Thanks for your feedback. This is what I need. This site gives me a lot of feedback and tips.

Sohail Jairaj
28-10-2009, 03:34 PM
I have re-added the image.

Bibhav Behera
28-10-2009, 03:49 PM
The abdomen looks sharper now due to down sampling and reduction in image size...

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Sohail,
A few questions.
Do you click in Raw mode or Jpeg?
I find that you are using Photoshop CS3 for your editing. Do you tick the button constrain proportions while resizing your images?

The original image looked a bit stretched or may be it is just my eyes playing tricks after a long day staring at the monitor.

While uploading image, please ensure that the image size is less than 200 kb and the longest side is max 800 pixels. Select the longest side as 800 pixels and if you had clicked on the button constraint proportions, then the shorter side will be automatically selected. Depending upon the details in the image, ISO used, you need to change the quality to keep the image below 200 kb.

In macro images it is important that the depth of field is adequate. Please press the depth of field preview button and the lens will stop down and show you the area in focus. You can then select the aperture and ISO combination to select the desired depth of field for your image. If the shutter speed goes down due to a narrow aperture like f8, f11 etc, then better to use a support or a tripod.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sohail Jairaj
28-10-2009, 07:31 PM
Sohail,
A few questions.
Do you click in Raw mode or Jpeg?
I find that you are using Photoshop CS3 for your editing. Do you tick the button constrain proportions while resizing your images?

The original image looked a bit stretched or may be it is just my eyes playing tricks after a long day staring at the monitor.

While uploading image, please ensure that the image size is less than 200 kb and the longest side is max 800 pixels. Select the longest side as 800 pixels and if you had clicked on the button constraint proportions, then the shorter side will be automatically selected. Depending upon the details in the image, ISO used, you need to change the quality to keep the image below 200 kb.

In macro images it is important that the depth of field is adequate. Please press the depth of field preview button and the lens will stop down and show you the area in focus. You can then select the aperture and ISO combination to select the desired depth of field for your image. If the shutter speed goes down due to a narrow aperture like f8, f11 etc, then better to use a support or a tripod.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Hi Sabyasachi,

Glad to answer your questions :)

I click in the jpeg format. Should I be clicking in the raw format (I need to install the converter on my machine). I have been told by a few fellow photographers as well.

Yes, the constrain proportions option is ticket while resizing the image.

I usually size the image to abt 600 odd pixels only for the image to be viewed by others in a single screen with no scrolling.

I will definatley work on the feedback you have provided this weekend while I shoot.

I have been shooting macro for sometime with an 18-55mm. I definately want to acquire the 70-300 and 100-400, however I would like to be strong on my basics before I move to that.

Thany you,

Sohail

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Sohail,
I fully agree with you. I have seen a few people who just accumulate lenses without using them. I can confidently say that the 18-55 mm lens is better than a majority of the photographers.

Since you are interested in the macro world, you can pick up a macro lens. The macro world is colourful and very interesting.

Master the basics. When ever there is a doubt you can ask.

You can install the DPP that comes with the canon camera. Shoot in raw. It is like a digital negative. Jpeg is a lossy compression and you are throwing away a lot of data. So better to shoot in Raw.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sohail Jairaj
28-10-2009, 08:18 PM
Thanks. Looking forward to a lot of learning through our interractions.