PDA

View Full Version : Tigers - Mother and Cub (Male)

Praveen Siddannavar
28-10-2009, 03:56 PM
Shot this recently at Ranthambore, the cub was a bit shy and disappeared in the bushes however the Tigress spent good amount of time with us, few pictures i have already shared.

It was a bit difficult for me to get both mother n cub in focus

Camera Model Name Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Date/Time 10/16/2009 4:11:44 PM
Tv (Shutter Speed) 1/125
Av (Aperture Value) 5.0
ISO Speed 500

Vikram Gupchup
28-10-2009, 04:21 PM
Wonderful moment indeed.

Is this a crop? If the image is cropped in 3:2 ratio, it could have a 'wider' feel to it..

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2009, 07:50 PM
Praveen,
Watching a family of tigers in the wild is one of the most unforgettable moments.

I would like to know how big a crop is this. Before I comment, I would like to state that it is not easy to get two animals in a frame and get a pleasing composition.

In this case the positioning of the tigers is fine. However, The top tiger is looking slightly towards the left of the frame and the tiger on the bottom right looks at the right and out of the frame. That results in the image being unbalanced despite the positioning of the tigers. It would have been great if the tiger at the bottom right would have turned her head and looked towards the other one. :-)

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
28-10-2009, 08:51 PM
Sabyasachi/Vikram - Yes it is crop but just about 10% or less than the original image. For better commenting and understanding I am posting the original image without crop. While shooting these tigers I was so tempted that at one stage I was about get off the vehicle but there was some more excitment for us along with Tiger family, a Krait snake (considered highly venomous) was sighted near the front tyre of the Jeep.
Appreciate your comments and tips for further improvement.

Sabyasachi Patra
28-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Praveen,
The full frame image is better. In this case the vegetation forms a vertical frame at the right side. This helps in ensuring that the impact of the tiger looking out on the right side is negated. In the old days, while presenting slides in a slide holder I used to use this principle to ensure that the view is arrested with a vertical frame.

For the tiger on the top, the piece of grass patch on the bottom left also helps in balancing. The space at the top also helps. Overall, I like the repost ie. the full frame version better between the two.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
28-10-2009, 10:17 PM
Photographing two tigers at a time is really very exciting. I liked the repost, the uncropped composition. A nice display of the environment and both are looking at ease.

Look forward to more.. :).

Bibhav Behera
28-10-2009, 10:56 PM
Even in my opinion, the uncropped image looks better. The oof leaves on the right do not add much to the image and could have been avoided... Thanks for sharing... A lovely sighting... U got any shots of the krait as well? :D

Vikram Gupchup
30-10-2009, 02:13 PM
I agree with everyone. Repost is better. Nice to know that you saw a krait!

I am sure all of us here have seen more tigers than Kraits.I have seen it only once in the wild.Do post the snakes images if you have shot any.

Chitrita Chatterjee
10-11-2009, 02:11 PM
what a beautiful moment captured..... I prefer the repost...