PDA

View Full Version : Leopard - (Young Male)

Praveen Siddannavar
02-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Firstly my apology for posting a poor image, I shot this young male leopard at Kabini over the weekend, the conditions were so bad that i could not do anything better, very low light and dense part of the forest, this leopard was resting on a tree about 150 mts away from us.

I have also a questions to all experts here, under such conditions what are the tips to follow for getting a better quality image under low light, as one would not like to loose such opportunities of Leopard or a Tiger sighting.

Appreciate your suggestions :

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D
Shooting Date/Time 10/31/2009 5:39:07 PM
Shooting Mode Aperture-Priority AE
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/5
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO Speed 500
Lens EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal Length 400.0 mm

Bibhav Behera
02-11-2009, 08:07 PM
In such cases there is not much one can do other than use a Tripod or a monopod. For attempting sharp images please refer these articles for shooting techniques
1. http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268
2. http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=410

Govindarao Srinivasa Babu
02-11-2009, 08:23 PM
We missed each other in a narrow edge...I shoted another beauty...may b let me have your comment..as per the shake s concerned i shooted hand held & ofcourse VR lens at 4oo ISO at Manual 1/25 s it came out pretty well around the same time...

Rajan Kanagasabai
03-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Sighting a leapord in the wild is an overwhelming experience and congrats on this sighting. I've been to Kabini atleast 20 odd times and have seen a leapord just twice.

There are just a few things in our control at such instances. Use a beanbag or a tri/mono pod for better stability which will result in a sharper image. Try to bump up the ISO all the way to gain a faster shutterspeed. You can also try increasing the exposure compensation for a little more light.

Rajan

Sabyasachi Patra
03-11-2009, 11:02 AM
Praveen,
It is tough to get a sharp shot at that shutter speed. The reason is someone or the other is bound to move in the vehicle. Better to bump the iso so that the shutter speed reaches atleast around 1/15th. It is also better to use the cable release along with your mirror lockup. If people don't move, then you can get a sharp shot.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
03-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Gentleman - Thanks for your valuable suggestions, will surely keep all this in mind for my next trip.