PDA

View Full Version : Black-hooded Oriole Immature?

Mrudul Godbole
04-11-2009, 01:28 PM
Photographed it this weekend. It was perched on a small shrub, and was quite difficult to photograph in the dense growth. It was late afternoon and the light was a bit harsh. Please confirm the id.

Canon 50D, 100-400mm L IS USM, 1/250, ISO 200, f5.6, full frame, hand held.

Comments and critiques welcome..

Bibhav Behera
04-11-2009, 01:38 PM
It looks like a female black hooded oriole to me. I like the diagonal branch. Would have been nicer if you had included the caterpillar on the top of the branch in full. Wish the leaves in front of the bird were absent.

Mrudul Godbole
04-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I think it is a Immature because the hood is not solidly black on the throat as the female.

Lakshminarayanan Nataraja
04-11-2009, 02:03 PM
This bird looks like an immature black hooded oriole.

It is important to know the habitat we sight or capture the bird to determine the correct identity.

Where was this bird shot ?

Black hooded orioles will be generally found in secondary forests, country sides interspread with fields and orchards and in broken jungles too.

Praveen Siddannavar
04-11-2009, 02:05 PM
Lovely Image Mrudul, I think you have done well despite of harsh light conditions. I agree with Bibhav getting Caterpillar in frame would have enchanced the image.

I referred my birds field guide, it is immature since it has yellow forehead and black streaked white throat.
Reference - Birds of Indian Sub-continent by Richard Grimmett, Plate 92 & page 214

Umesh Vaghela
04-11-2009, 06:34 PM
Nice colours!!!

Sabyasachi Patra
04-11-2009, 07:53 PM
It is great that you got it full frame. I have some fond childhood memories about this bird. I remember how excited I was watching this. It would have been even great if you could have got it with the caterpillar.