This is my Fist Macro Shot.

Camera : Canon 40D
Lens : Tamrom 90mm F2.8

Shot using Monopod

It a request to provide me with information/ techniques for Macro Photography

Anuradha Nautiyal
16-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Hi Ahiraj,

I like the way you have composed it. Do you know what is this spider called ?

Few days back I was trying to get a similar shot in our garden (the same spider species) but had a great difficulty in getting the focus (AF) right. Every time I tried to click a front view the Af was not able to pick up the web and was instead focusing on the wall behind. Do share with us if you know how to overcome this difficulty

Thanks
Anu

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2009, 02:45 PM
Ahiraj,
If you could post the Exif details like aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc then it will be easier for us to comment.

In macro photography, it is very important to get the focus right and the depth of field right.

When you are photographing at close distances, the zone of acceptable focus is much lesser. So it is important to press the depth of field preview button and see how much of the area is in focus. If you want more area to be in focus, then you have to narrow the lens opening that is use a narrow aperture like f8, f11 etc depending upon the requirement.

However, using a narrow aperture means your light passing through the lens decreases and hence the shutter speed decreases. So it is important that you use a tripod or monopod or some form of support.

If you are handholding, then it is important that you use set the camera to AI Servo. If you use Single shot mode, then the sharpness may be compromised. The reason is even when we are taking a single shot, our body moves front and back. If you don't believe, then ask your friend to shoot and you will notice the swaying of the body. I am not sure about the equivalent setting of AI Servo in Nikon.

In low light, the lens would tend to hunt ie. the focus will keep on shifting back and forth. You have to be careful about that. Most of the times the central AF point is better in locking focus. However, you may try using manual focussing, as in low light it would be a better bet most of the times.

One important point to remember is the plane of focus. When you are focussing on a point, the plane passing through that point parallel to your camera sensor would be in focus. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Sagar Patil
16-11-2009, 08:14 PM
Don't know why Signature spiders expose their dorsal sides towards Sun....most of the times.

This is good sharp shot. Good background.

Bibhav Behera
17-11-2009, 12:43 PM
The composition is nice. A bit more sharpness would have been better.

Ahiraj Bhat
19-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Anuradha

This spider is called Signature spider

Usually while taking macro shot, its advisable to have manual focusing as it allows to have good control on composition.

while using autofocus, if the object is too close, focusing may not be in sync with our thoughts.

Regards

Ahiraj Bhat

Ahiraj Bhat
19-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Don't know why Signature spiders expose their dorsal sides towards Sun....most of the times.

This is good sharp shot. Good background.
Hi Sagar

Thank You