PDA

View Full Version : the mother-common iora

Jitendra Katre
16-11-2009, 10:34 AM
canon 450d,tamron 200-500,f-8,1/200. i don't know if it is allowed or not to post such images..i am sorry if it is not.only thing i can assure.. the bird is not disturbed.

Sabyasachi Patra
16-11-2009, 11:22 AM
Hi Jitendra,
I like the eye contact. It gives us an idea that the nest is well hidden. Composition is fine. I am happy that you are concerned about the ethics or propriety of uploading a nesting image.

In India, most of the online photosharing sites and e-groups doesn't allow nesting photos. Though those online sites are far removed from conservation.

I believe no image is more important than the welfare of the subject. I am ok with nesting images if sufficient care has been taken to photograph it. Not every body has got a long lens and the subject knowledge to know whether the bird is getting disturbed. So other people may go closer and disturb the bird. From that perspective, it is better to avoid posting nesting images, as lot of youngsters without long telephoto lenses and subject knowledge may try to click it.

I am sharing a link to the Nature Photographers Code of Practice of Royal Photographic Society, London.

http://www.rpsnaturegroup.com/page7.htm

I quoting some relevant extracts from it:

Photography should not be undertaken if it puts the subject at risk. Risk to the subject, in this context, means risk of disturbance, physical damage, causing anxiety, consequential predation, and lessened reproductive success.

Apparent lax or absence of local legislation should not lead any photographer to relax his/her own high standard.
The photographer should be familiar with the natural history of the subject; the more complex the life-form and the rarer the species, the greater his/ her knowledge must be. He/ she should also be sufficiently familiar with other natural history subjects to be able to avoid damaging their interests accidentally. Photography of uncommon creatures and plants by people who know nothing of the hazards to species and habitat is to be deplored.
Photographs of dead, stuffed, homebred, captive, cultivated, or otherwise controlled specimens may be of genuine value but should never be passed off as wild and free. Users of such photographs (irrespective of the purpose for which it is thought they will be used) should always be informed, regardless of how little they may seem to care.
Photography of birds at the nest should only be undertaken by those with a good knowledge of bird breeding behaviour. There are many competent photographers (and bird watchers) who lack this qualification.
A hide should always be used if there is a reasonable doubt that birds would continue normal breeding behaviour otherwise. No part of the occupant should be visible from the outside of the hide.
Reported nest failures due to nest photography are few, but a high proportion of those that occur are due to undue haste. The maximum possible time should elapse between stages of hide movement or erection, introduction of lens or flash equipment, gardening and occupation. Many species need preparation at least a week in advance; this should be seen as the norm. Each stage should be fully accepted by the bird (or birds, where feeding or incubation is shared) before the next stage is initiated. If a stage is refused by the birds (which should be evident from their behaviour to a competent bird photographer) the procedure should be reversed at least one stage; if refusal is repeated photography should be abandoned.

I am inviting suggestions from all on this issue. I think we should develop a code of conduct, as there is none in India.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
16-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Its good you got eyes in the clear. The nest is well hidden. I agree with Sabyasachi about the points he has mentioned above.

Look forward to other images..keep posting.

Jitendra Katre
16-11-2009, 02:33 PM
Hi Savyasachi,
i fully agree with your statement,'no image is more important than the welfare of the subject'. it is better not to go into temptation of posting such images..

Atul Dhamankar
17-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Hi all,
I would studing nesting behaviours of birds for last 20 years. I done some good studies on nesting behaviour of Indian Pitta and Paradise Flycatcher. I had written one book on complete nesting habits on Indian Pitta. For that I try hard to got photographs of nesting behaviours of Pitta. These photos are been first record of nestng of Indian Pitta in Maharashtra.
So in this case photographs are very important for the detail study of bird's nesting behaviour. All care should be taken during such photography, beacuse eggs and chicks are so delicate, and easily disturb. Some time chicks are jump out of the nest when photographer approches very close. Predators also get clue of the nest which is harmful. If you don't have good knowladge about nesting behaviour, don't try to take photos of eggs, chicks or feeding.
Lens smaller than 300mm is not sufficient for nest photography. Good camouflouge hide, long lens (atleast 500mm), sufficient time and the main thing is "purpose(Nesting behaviour study)" is very essential for such photography. Otherwise it will only disturb and some time desroy the nest.

Praveen Siddannavar
17-11-2009, 11:43 AM
I am with you on this Atul, last year I had clicked some images of nesting in my farm but later realised my mistake and stopped it. I also agree that a min 500mm or longer lens is needed if one is studing this subject.

And Sabyasachi made a very improtant statement "I believe no image is more important than the welfare of the subject". I fully agree...

Bibhav Behera
17-11-2009, 12:21 PM
Nice image. I like the eye contact. Good that this topic was taken up. It is very important that such ethical issues be taken very seriously. Afterall the whole point of a photographer is to portray the natural behaviour of fauna. One should not do that at the cost of disrupting the balance.