PDA

View Full Version : Makhna, Elephant

Siddhartha Gogoi
18-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Hi,

I took this photo in Mudumalai while heading towards Gudalur. We parked the car by the road and spent some good time with him, after sometime he crossed to the other side of the road and started feeding on the bark of the trees. This was one of the most gentlest Makhna's I have ever come across contrary to the popular believe that Makhna's are more aggresive than Tuskers, this incident made me think twice. Though there were a lot of disturbances in and around him at that time due to heavy traffic, he looked very calm and quite unperturbed. A guy went quite close and took photos inspite of the warnings and still not a trumpet or any signs of aggression from the elephant.
I sharpened it just a little bit and cropped cropped it too, hope it looks a little different this time.

Properties:
ISO 250
Aperture: f/5.6
Focal Lenght: 55mm

Thanks,
Sidd

Sabyasachi Patra
18-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Siddhartha,
I felt something is amiss here. So I downloaded your image to check the image size. The size is 202 kb. Any image higher than 200 kb would lose the quality as the software does some resizing. Also the image needs to be max 800 pixels in the longest side. Please repost again.

I like the composition. What was the aperture?

In musth condition, they are generally very aggressive. This one doesn't seem to be in musth condition.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
18-11-2009, 01:05 PM
I like the composition. Some more sharpness would have been nice.

Mrudul Godbole
18-11-2009, 02:48 PM
Lovely greenery. Nice composition. Liked the way he is patiently standing. Thanks for sharing.

Praveen Siddannavar
18-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Nice image Sid, normally Makna's are a huge and most of the time agressive, this seems calm and cool.