PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly

Anuradha Nautiyal
23-11-2009, 01:52 PM
This was captured on our way back from our 1 day trip to Doddamakkali. We got a chance to see the butterfly mating behaviour. Have clicked some more picture in the series will upload it soon

f/11 | 1/160 | iso 640

C&C welcomed
Anu

Praveen Siddannavar
23-11-2009, 03:28 PM
great shot Anu, the bg is diffused nicely. Did you use the macro VR lens for this shot? I will share my versions later, yet to do pp...

Bibhav Behera
23-11-2009, 04:10 PM
The DOF is nice. I like the diagonal composition. Did you use a fill flash? Do post equipment details too so that it is easier to critique. :)

Anuradha Nautiyal
23-11-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Praveen and Bibhav

This was shot using the Nikon micro lense AF-S VR Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED. No flash used , had pumped up the ISO. Somehow I don't like using the flash. Not only it disturbs the subject in case of wildlife but in case of still the colours also don't come out so well.

By the way I just learnt that this butterfly is called Graphium sarpedon (Common Bluebottle)

Anu

Mrudul Godbole
24-11-2009, 04:30 PM
Lovely composition. The nice clean background adds to the composition. The image is sharp. The details have come out nicely. Thanks for sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
25-11-2009, 03:12 PM
I liked the composition and the nice background. Fill flash is difficult to master. You need to use an external flash, and dial in negative compensation (depending upon the scene) to supplement the light. Else, you will get the flashed out look. At times you can get some interesting and creative images by using flash. I don't like the use of flash in the night.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Vikram Gupchup
26-11-2009, 11:32 PM
The 105 is a wonderful lens for butterflies. Never used a vr version though.

This is a Polyura athamas - The Common Nawab.
The behavior that has been captured is worth noting. The butterfly is feeding on tree sap.
The Nawab and also Praveen's Black Rajah never seem to visit flowers. These butterflies are found feeding on tree sap, overripe fruits , animal waste and even dead crabs!

Id and info from Isaac Kehimkar's - The book of Indian Butterflies