PDA

View Full Version : Sunset Hues

Anuradha Nautiyal
25-11-2009, 08:56 AM
The sunset hues as seen on our way back from Doddamakkali.

This picture has not been processed in Lightroom. Just a teeny weeny increase in saturation and crop (in Picasa) are the only two things I have done on this one.

Nikon D90| 18mm |f/8.0 | 1/250 | iso 2000 (below this I was not getting a shutter speed sufficient for hand held shot)

C&C always welcomed

Thx
Anu

Bibhav Behera
25-11-2009, 03:16 PM
Hi Anuradha,
Although the noise is not visible significantly, it is advisable to use lower ISOs. In this case you used 1/250 shutter speed at ISO 2000 and F8. If you had used ISO 1600 you would have got a shutter speed of 1/200, (ISO 800: 1/100), (ISO 400: 1/50) (ISO 200: 1/30), (ISO 100: 1/15) at the same value of aperture ie F8.
Since you were handholding at 18mm, you could have managed upto 1/15 at ISO 100 and ISO 2000 was not necessary... :)

please refer this article on exposure tradeoffs... http://www.indiawilds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2098
I like the composition. The grass on the left adds to the image in my opinion. The pano crop looks nice.

Mrudul Godbole
25-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Nice composition. The mix of dark clouds and the sun light adds to the image. Liked the grass and the trees in the foreground. Agree with Bibhav's suggestion, a lower ISO could have been used. Would have liked more space in the top, but pano also works.

Look forward to more..

Sabyasachi Patra
25-11-2009, 09:10 PM
A well composed image.

Most of the times, landscape photographers use the lowest possible ISO as that gives less grains. So they use tripod and at times when the light is low, it is even advisable to use mirror lockup. In case the Nikons there is no mirror lockup, so one has to use the delay timer.

If there is no tripod, then one needs to find a rock/bag and place the camera steady, compose and click.

According to the rule of thumb, one needs to have a shutter speed equal to 1/focal length to get sharp shots. So a 18mm lens should give you sharp shots at 1/18 th of a second. However, this rule of thumb was created in the film days. No one used to blow up their images to 100% size and check the sharpness in those days. A small print will look sharp. However, when you print big, you will realise that the shot would have lost lot of details.

Also, remember that when you click on a burst mode, one image out of the burst is likely to be sharper than others. So in this case, handholding at ISO 400 and a burst would have helped.

All these are suggestions. Try it out in the field and apply which ever suits your needs. Thanks for sharing. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Jitendra Katre
28-11-2009, 05:29 PM
nice..overall feel and colours.