PDA

View Full Version : Record Shot -Painted Sandgrouse

Praveen Siddannavar
25-11-2009, 10:13 PM
I had never heard about Painted Sandgrouse, got an opportunity to sight it at Doddamakali on sunday last. I am aware of the low quality, had to shot this under unfavourable conditions. This is just a record shot.

A note on this rare bird - Painted Sandgrouse (Pterocles indicus)

Sandgrouse have pigeon like heads, neck but sturdy compact bodies. They weigh between 150-500 gms and range in size of 24-40cms in length. They are generally found in treeless open country, arid and semi desert areas.
They have a fast flight pattern and are capable of swift takeoffs. They are feathered down to the toes. The plumage is an adaptation to the terrain enabling them to feed while completely camouflaged to intruders. A very interesting fact is that in the adult birds, especially in males, the belly feathers are specially adapted to absorb water and retain it, thus allowing the birds to carry water to chicks that maybe miles away from the watering hole.

Sandgrouse are seed eaters. They are monogamous. Their nesting site is no more than a small depression in the ground, a footprint’s size. Incubation duties are shared with the male during the night and the female during the day. Typically the nest contains about three eggs. Hatching period is about 20-25 days. A interesting fact about sandgrouse chicks, they are capable of feeding themselves from hatching, though they still need to learn feeding skills from the parents.

Sabyasachi Patra
26-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Interesting facts. I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is not always easy to click these birds as they are always alert. They even get alerted by the sound of the shutter. It is easier to shoot them from a hide. A vehicle can also serve as a hide if one sits silently for a few hours. I am sure, soon you will share much better shots of this species with us.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Mrudul Godbole
26-11-2009, 11:41 AM
I too have tried to photograph this bird, but it quite difficult to get them in clear. Thanks for the detailed information.