PDA

View Full Version : Sirkeer Malkoha

Praveen Siddannavar
01-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Shot this shy bird at Tadoba after several attempts, finally got her on my last safari.

Canon 40D, 100-400mm L IS USM, ISO 200, f5.6, 1/400

Anuradha Nautiyal
01-12-2009, 08:57 PM
Hey Praveen,

The bird looks beautiful. Wish the focus was more sharp

Waiting to see your other pictures from the trip
Anu

Mrudul Godbole
01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
Nice sighting. Nice eye contact. I have not photographed this bird still. There is some noise in the image. Is this a crop? Would have liked some more space on top. Looking forward to see more of your photographs from Tadoba.

Bibhav Behera
01-12-2009, 10:41 PM
I like the beak shape and the mascara lined eyes :)

Somehow these birds ring the bell 'Chameli' in my head. Wonder why???

Sabyasachi Patra
01-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Lovely bird. I would have loved some more space at the top.

I looked up the Salim Ali and found these details:

Scientific name: Phaaenicophaeus leschenaultii

An obvious relation to the Crow - Phesant. A heavy-tailed earthy brown and rufous bird, with fine black shaft -streaks to the feathers. White tips to the graduated cross-rayed tail feathers prominent. Also the bright cherry-red and yellow stout hooked bill. Sexes alike. Singly or pairs, on ground in broken scrub country and deciduous secondary jungle.

Distribution:
All India south and east of a line from Kutch to Shimla; Bangladesh; Pakistan; Srilanka. Three races, differentiated on size and details of coloration.

Habits:
Largely terrestrial. Stalks about amongst thickets like Crow-Pheasant, searching for food; insects, lizards, fallen fruits and berries, etc. Runs swiftly through undergrowth looking like mongoose, but is a feeble flier. Ascends trees rapidly, hopping from branch to branch with great agility.

Call:Occasional. A sharp loud Kek-kek-kek-kerek-kerek-kerek of the quality of the Roseringed Parakeet's shrieks; also reminiscent in a way of call of Barred jungle owlet.

Nesting: Season: March to August, varying with locality. Nest a shallow saucer of twigs lined with green leaves, in a thorn bush or sapling 2 to 7 m up. Eggs: 2 or 3, white, with a chalky texture.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Atul Dhamankar
02-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Good image.
I remember how you got this bird when we just 200mts from the moharli gate in last safari.

Jitendra Katre
02-12-2009, 02:55 PM
i have got some images of this bird,even a video but never could i get such a magnificent tail...beautiful.

Rahul Parekh
02-12-2009, 09:29 PM
beautiful bird...lovely capture... :)