PDA

View Full Version : My favourite shot to begin the forums.

Ramesh Anantharaman
21-12-2009, 09:09 PM
short eared owl,

Kutch, Gujarat

Canon Eos 40D, 500mm f/4 L IS, 1.4x T.C.

700mm, f/8, 1/800 sec, iso-200, aperture priority, -0.3 step exp. compn.

I felt i should start with my favorite shot for a first post.

hope to see some free and useful c&c

Mrudul Godbole
21-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Welcome to IndiaWilds.

Beautiful first post. The eye contact is terrific. Its good that you got in the clear. Nice clear complimenting background. Nice details. Look forward to more images.

Bibhav Behera
21-12-2009, 09:59 PM
A beautiful beginning to the Forums...
This is beautiful. The eye contact is lovely, the pose is nice. The open mouth is a plus... The background is smooth and helps the subject pop out. Has the background been blurred in post processing or is it natural?

Sabyasachi Patra
21-12-2009, 10:08 PM
Hi Ramesh,
Lovely image. I like the eye contact. Fascinating eyes. I like the composition. The space at the top can accommodate text for a magazine cover. It seems the bird is calling.

I am not familiar with this species. So picked up my Salim Ali. Quoting some interesting facts from there:

Scientific name: Asio flammeus

Length: 15 inch.
A slim medium sized owl. Pale buff heavily streaked with dark brown. head dark grey. Facial disc white intermixed with black, surrounded by dark brown ruff. Two upstanding ear-tufts above the brown eyes, wings and tail barred rufous and black. Pale buff below brown-streaked on breast. In flight rufous upper and white underside of pointed wings, with prominent dark bar and blackish tips diagnostic.

Distribution: Winter visitor to the Indian Subcontinent between September and April. Srilanka (occasional).

Habits: Seen singly or loose parties of 5 or 6 or more on the ground in scrubby grassland. When flushed flies leisurely away and drops to the ground again to the shelter of a grass clump or bush.

Food: Small mammals, birds and insects.

Would love to hear your observations on this species. Look forward to more.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
21-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Ramesh - Welcome to Indiawilds!

First nice post & simply too good to start with. The eye contact is stunning, great details around the face, I guess f8 has worked very well. Look forward to more, tfs

Chitrita Chatterjee
22-12-2009, 02:17 PM
very very beautiful..... lovely sharp eyes.... and a stunning capture...congrats..and look forward to many more pics from you.... :-)

Abhishek Jamalabad
22-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Hi, welcome.
A stunning shot and a lovely first post. Loved everything in this image.
Keep posting.