PDA

View Full Version : Blue Capped Rock Thrush

Praveen Siddannavar
28-12-2009, 02:18 PM
Shot this during X'mas at Ganeshgudi ~ 55 kms from my home town - Belgaum...

Canon 40D, 100-400mm L IS USM, f5.6, ISO 500, 1/50, hand held.

The Blue-capped Rock-thrush Monticola cinclorhynchus is a species of chat. This thrush-like Old World flycatcher breeds in the foothills of the Himalayas and winters in the hill forests of southern India.

The male is bright blue and black on the upperparts with a prominent white wing mirror. The underside is rufous brown. The female is dark olive and appears barred on the underside.

Like thrushes´, they fly up into trees and tend to freeze when disturbed.

It is a summer visitor in parts of Afghanistan and along the Himalayas from Pakistan to Arunachal Pradesh. In summer it is found in pine forests and hill slopes. In winter it is found in dense canopied forests.

Abhishek Jamalabad
28-12-2009, 02:55 PM
Nice find... Light seems quite bad. 1/50 even at ISO 500... I think it's a good image considering the given conditions. Thnaks for the info.

Mrudul Godbole
28-12-2009, 03:17 PM
Difficult conditions to shoot. Nice eye contact. Wish the branch in front was absent. Agree with Abhishek about the light and shutter speed. I am thinking, why is the background looking a bit unnatural? Thanks for the information. Look forward to more.

Sabyasachi Patra
28-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Lovely bird. I liked the information shared. Shutter speed was low. You could have tried increasing the ISO further. There is a slight cast in the image. Did you do lot of recovery?

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Bibhav Behera
28-12-2009, 07:58 PM
A nice bird. Wish you could have got a higher shutter speed. Seems you recovered the shadows a bit too much.