PDA

View Full Version : Emerald Dove (Male)

Praveen Siddannavar
06-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Shot this dove on 24th Dec'09 at Ganeshgudi that is 20 kms from Dandeli and 50 kms from my home town Belgaum, actually i was having late lunch in the garden of the Old Magzine House run by JLR. There was a plate of plant pot lying filled with rain water, this dove suddenly appeared to quench its thirst. Luckly my camera was ready & I managed couple of shots, however light was not that great, it was a cloudy day.

Info on Emerald Dove (Chalcophaps indica 27cm)
Widespread resident, unrecorded in most parts of northwest. Stout and broad winged, with very rapid flight. Green upperparts and black and white banding on back. Male has grey crown and white shoulder patch. Moist tropical and sub-tropical broadleaved forest.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/30
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO 800
Handheld

Sabyasachi Patra
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
I had earlier seen an image clicked with a 600mm lens with part of the water bowl. So this seems to be a place frequented by the emerald dove.

This is a colourful bird. A head turn away from you would have been nice. The whites in the head is a bit bright. It is good that you had a camera near you.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Abhishek Jamalabad
06-01-2010, 01:56 PM
Tough lighting conditions. For 1/30 handheld, it is quite steady and sharp.
I too remember the other image... :)

Mrudul Godbole
06-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Nice image. The colours are good. Agree a bit more head turn would have been good. While composing you could have taken from the base of the pot avoiding the bamboo at the bottom. Thanks for the information.

Bibhav Behera
06-01-2010, 06:19 PM
Nice image. Here the focus is shifted to the pot rather than the bird due to its size in the image. Would have liked the bird to be a bit more to the left in the image.