PDA

View Full Version : A pair of Ashy Woodswallow

Praveen Siddannavar
12-01-2010, 09:35 AM
Shot this Ashy Woodswallows at coffee estate in Sakalespur on the weekend...

Scientific name - Artamus fuscus

This is a rare and winter visitor. It is a grey bird, darker on the head and paler below, with long wings reaching the tip of the white-tipped tail. The head of a Woodswallow is proportionately larger as compared to its body and hence the bird looks top heavy. The bill is large, silvery-grey with a black tip. Ashy Woodswallows sit in groups, huddled together, on exposed bare branches and electrical wires. Now and then, one or more will launch itself and fly round in a very martin-like way, hawking insects.

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/250
Av( Aperture Value ) 5.6
ISO 200

Mrudul Godbole
12-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Lovely image. I liked the composition and the eye contact. The details and colours are nice. Its good that you just got the eye of the bird on the left wihtout being obstructed by the branch. Nicely taken. Thanks for the information.

Bibhav Behera
12-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Nice image. The symmetry formed with both looking in opposite directions is appealing. You have got this from below so the ventral side has been well shown in this image. Moving a bit to the right would have helped to avoid the interface of the branch and the wood swallow's head on the left. Thanks for Sharing.

Sabyasachi Patra
12-01-2010, 12:38 PM
Cute. I would have experimented with more space to include the leaf on the right and space at the left. Did you try a horizontal? Thanks for sharing this interesting species here.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Thanks Guys for the comments, I did try few more compositions, also managed to click the a single bird as well, will try and post them soon.

Rahul Parekh
13-01-2010, 05:50 PM
very cute and beautiful capture :)

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul

Priya Vinay
13-01-2010, 06:12 PM
Very beautiful and rare catch... that too two of them! Both look very cute. Great image :)

Jitendra Katre
14-01-2010, 12:01 PM
a beutiful,sharp image.

Jitendra Katre
14-01-2010, 12:01 PM
a beautiful,sharp image.very good.