PDA

View Full Version : Lions of Gujarat...

Rahul Parekh
13-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Dear Friends,

I was just reading today's TOI news paper. There is one article on 'Lions for Kuno' that said MP has again demand Gir Lions, and committee of National wildlife board said.. 'MP should be allocated lions from the nature i.e. directly from the wild and not the zoo-breed lions for the Kuno Palpur'.

The words of Murli Krishnan, Conservator of Forest, Gwalior..He said.. "We have renewed our demand for wild animals. These animals are given to us for the breeding centre and not for the Kuno Palpur Project".

Now, I wonder Why MP is so desperate for Lions? They can't even handle Tiger NPs and Sanctuaries of MP properly & in well mannered. We are losing Tigers!!! How they will handle Lions? None is talking about this serious part while demanding the lions from Gujarat!!!! :mad:

Lion is completely different from Tiger. Do MP forest department have experienced people (Staff) that understands different behaviors of lion? How they live in the wild? What are their necessities? What about notorious poachers of MP? (Poachers that captured from Gir NP for killing of lions were from MP, none has to forget this truth!!!)

LIONS ARE NOT SAFE IN MADHYA PRADESH

If Gujarat will ever give lions to MP...you'll surely get new Lion NP in no time in MP with big traffic and bunch of Gypsy...MP want to showcase Tigers and Lions in one state for tourism purpose and attract the tourists. Lion will never handle this kind of pressure like tiger for sure its social animal and not solitaire like tiger, b'coz they are not used to this kind of things in GIR....

For the name of conservation people are planning to earn big bucks...None thinking about the precious life of wild lions. Even a pride of 6-7 lions is so important for nature. We can't put their life on the edge for the sake of tourism & trial...If MP is really serious about the conservation of Asiatic Lions than Why they are not helping Gujarat Govt to save the lions in different other habitats / locations in Gujarat only?

Gujarat Govt. also finalized Gene Pool Bank for lions at 'Rampara Vidi' near Wankaner...far away from Gir. There is one also proposed site 'Barda Dungar' and many more :) Gujarat Govt. has also declared Girnar Mountain's wild region as 'Girnar Wildlife Sanctuary'...Lions are also roaming here freely... :)

Very Angry and Sad Rahul :mad:

Rahul Parekh
14-01-2010, 08:52 AM
One more BIG Joke :eek:

Supreme Court has asked Gujarat Govt. that "Why isn't Gujarat giving lions to MP?" Now Court will decide what is good and bad for lions :D!!!! This is end of our Nature.....Our law is not giving strong punishment to the poachers and all the cruel people and now they are behind the life of innocent lions...

No one asked genuine people who are experienced & active in wildlife field and people who are sitting in the AC rooms deciding fate of lions... :mad:

No one can save our Nature & Wildlife.......Everyone baking their own Bread....Enjoy Nature as much as you can until they vanished from this world....

Want to say anything more, friends...................?

Dipankar Mazumdar
16-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Dear Rahul,
Even taking into account MPs absymal record, the question of risks to Lions due to a limited genepool and suceptibility to disease does continue to exist in Gir.
With due apologies, I think you like many others making it a Gujarat Vs MP debate rather than about the welfare of Lions. This absymal record is not MP s alone, rather a national maliase and afflicts the whole nation. The Poachers are from MP but their proliferance is due to the weak anti poaching laws at the national level. The issue of Poaching is now a national subject and the lawmakers should mke strong enough policies for states to implement and only then it could be a states fault.
As for Gir, I dont think its any differently (or better ) managed than other national Parks. The incident of use of buffalo baits for Lion shows is well documented and at a personal level I know of people who have entered the national park in a clandestine manner in the night for privately promoted night safaris, something which is wholely illegal.
With our Politically promoted identities of "states above the nation" priority issues such as wildlife conservation will continue to be diluted and we will continue to be embroiled in debates such as GUJARAT VS MP, rather than any real solution.

Regards
Dipankar

Rahul Parekh
16-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Dear Dipankar,

Thank you for expressing your views and I'm completely agree with you on your views regarding the welfare of lions :).

But problem is Lions are only found in Gujarat and MP is only state that demanding Lions so this matter is looking Gujarat Vs. MP ha!ha! :D. One more important thing is Gujarat has successfully save one species from merely 20 to 300 mark in these years and today give us chance to debate on this issue...if we didn't have any lions today than we would not be talking on this subject like we are not talking on Indian Cheetah now...

Yes, like other NPs and Sanctuaries Gir also having illegal activities and breach of rules but though We should appreciate Gujarat's Wildlife Conservation & implementation that I feel is far better than many other states...Moreover Gujarati people are far more sensitive to specially lions. When lions killed by poachers in Gir. It was talk of the town and headlines in the all local news papers. I've never seen this kind of things for Tigers. Why people of other states are not sensitive to Tigers? When Tiger dies only nature lover and conservation groups talk about this, it doesn't matter or affect to the common people!!! Why? (oh! this is out of the debate question?)

Re: Gene Pool: I know this is the weakest link in the lion conservation, and will always be the weakest link as all the wild lions are from last 20 survived lions during the Royal Rules in the wild. If we will transfer the lions from Gir to Kuno this problem will not be solved b'coz if any outbreak or disease like anthrax fired in the 'Kuno Palpur' too all the lions will be killed...as all the lions are from the same Gene Pool.

I've once read some Govt. authority has find out the all the different gene pool of Asiatic Lions. If we want to save the lions on the basis of Gene Pool than we have to work on that line and not by transferring any pride of 5-6 lions...This is silly idea...and not scientific. This shows this is political will and not conservation will of MP to have lions. Please read the statement of SC in above post too...Do you find any seriousness in that statement?

Yes, Poachers issue is nation wide but we should be aware that from where & from which state poachers are coming & active. If some poachers kill the lion in Gir than its very easy to kill lions in Kuno Palpur too!!!

Dipankar, This is not the issue of Gujarat Vs. MP. Please don't think wrong with my Title 'Lions of Gujarat'. I've written this b'coz lions only found & survived in Gujarat at the moment. I'm also serious about the survival of lions in the wild too. If I don't care about lions than I won't waste my time here to write all these things and lovingly paint lions... :) I do love and care for lions and every creatures.

Re: States: India is very big country and its impossible to handle one nation without states. I must say all states' wildlife conservation policies should be sound and transparent. "State above the Nation" is perfect statement & Policy for successful Wildlife Conservation in India. Every state should feel proud for their wildlife and nature and to do something for it to save and protect it. This way we can save our wildlife, nature & environment.

Please read carefully. I'm not against the transfer of the lions to the 'Kuno Palpur' or at any other place from Gujarat. I'm just against the way lions are demanded without any knowledge, security and scientific study. Merely Similar Habitat and Availability or Prey is not the criteria for the survival of any animal in the wild. There are answers to find for so many questions and some questions having no answers!!!!

I also wonder why my nature lover friends and Wildlife Conservation Groups are not supporting planning for other locations in Gujarat far away from GIR to save lions from massacre and only supporting 'Kuno Palpur'. Gujarat has successfully save & give love to lions for so many years than also why People of India are not supporting Gujarat same way they support the idea of MP? I'm really disappointed with the mindset of People!!!!

I'm very sorry and regretted for my thoughts that hurts you and may be my other friends here as well...

All best wishes,

Cheers, Rahul