PDA

View Full Version : Cameras at SGNP gates for tracking visitor movements

Mrudul Godbole
22-01-2010, 10:29 PM
In a move to keep track of visitors better, the Sanjay Gandhi National Park (SGNP) authorities have installed Closed Circuit Cameras (CCTV) at its two gates. “Cameras have been installed at SGNP gates at Borivali (main office) and Yeoor. This is to ensure that all vehicle entries are recorded. The information can be accessed and retrieved according to need,” said P N Munde, Chief Conservator of the park. “It is part of the modernisation plan.”

But sources in the forest department revealed that CCTVs were necessary to keep a check on heavyweights who enter the park beyond the allowed timings. The picturesque Yeoor village surrounded by the SGNP forest area is notorious for illegal bungalows and parties. It has been witnessing unrestricted entry by politicians from various parties and revelers. But the Bombay High Court has asked the forest department not to allow anyone to enter the forest, especially from the Yeoor gate after 6 pm.

Link - http://www.indianexpress.com/news/Cameras-at-SGNP-gates-for-tracking-visitor-movements-/568239

Tiger Ramesh
25-01-2010, 10:22 AM
This is a good idea. With cell phone towers covering most National parks, it should be possible to use Wireless IP camera's to monitor and record most activities in and around important national parks. These cameras can be powered by small solar panels.

It will also be a good idea to install speed radars on highways cutting through NPs and penalise over speeding vehicles.

The problem is that these cameras will establish the lethargy of Forest department officials who don't do their job well :)

Lakshminarayanan Nataraja
26-01-2010, 08:34 PM
On vigilance perspective this news is good.

But recent studies are revealing that the Electro-Magnetic radiation (EMR) is prooving to be too dangerous for the avian fauna.

An authentic study was carried out in Spain and Belgium which revealed the ill effects of EMR. Recently few researchers from SACON, Coimbatore said that there are enough reasons to attribute mobile phones for bird mortality. The mobiles and towers emits low frequency of 900 ~ 1800MHZ called microwaves. These MVs have ill effects on chicks and egg shells.

Studies revealing similar results were conducted in Chandigarh. Even in Chennai renowned biologist Dr.Ranjit Daniels says that common birds like house sparrow, RW bulbul, B.Kite and spotted dove have virtually disappeared alleged due to this MV. (Ref: Times of India, 03.10.2008)

Will be better if we all have a healthy discussion on the issue. So many points may come..

Tiger Ramesh
27-01-2010, 11:10 AM
On vigilance perspective this news is good.

But recent studies are revealing that the Electro-Magnetic radiation (EMR) is prooving to be too dangerous for the avian fauna.

An authentic study was carried out in Spain and Belgium which revealed the ill effects of EMR. Recently few researchers from SACON, Coimbatore said that there are enough reasons to attribute mobile phones for bird mortality. The mobiles and towers emits low frequency of 900 ~ 1800MHZ called microwaves. These MVs have ill effects on chicks and egg shells.

Studies revealing similar results were conducted in Chandigarh. Even in Chennai renowned biologist Dr.Ranjit Daniels says that common birds like house sparrow, RW bulbul, B.Kite and spotted dove have virtually disappeared alleged due to this MV. (Ref: Times of India, 03.10.2008)

Will be better if we all have a healthy discussion on the issue. So many points may come..

I agree and understand. But the point i was trying to make was that cell phone towers have mushroomed almost in all NPs in India. I hope MoEF issues a directive to direct the radio signals away from the parks.

Abhishek Jamalabad
27-01-2010, 02:46 PM
I wonder whether this move will really be of any help. The forest department and security at SGNP is very lax, so capturing trespassers on CCTV cameras may not help at all. For example, many trails (including some on which leopard sightings are common) are officially supposed to be "restricted" areas. The forest dept. is supposed to impose a heavy fine on trespassers, yet there is not a single officer present to guard these trails. What's more, the trails, when closed, are only barricaded by a crude barrier made from dry branches! So anyone willing to risk a few scratches can easily get in...

Unfortunately, apart from forests, SGNP also has some major tourist attractions within the park. Tourists come to these places to picnic, and it is needless to say what happens then. Though the park is only open to them for a limited time daily, there don't seem to be any measures to restrict tourist activity at these places.

Sabyasachi Patra
01-02-2010, 09:21 AM
I think this measure has got potential. If the cameras are not allowed to be switched off by the officials, then the footage is recorded and is open to scrutiny. Don't know whether the high speed radar idea is workable. We hardly use them in the roads in India.

It is a fact that the cell phone towers have mushroomed at all places. Since operators don't share the towers, you have many more at a the location. I am not sure that birds have disappeared specifically due to the towers. I think there is lack of habitat for them in the concrete jungles that our human habitations have become. In my child hood days, I used to see the sparrows etc constructing their nests in the nook and crannies of our houses. The high rise apartments have less of outlets for these birds. Houses are mostly sealed having air conditioned environment. It is not even possible for these small birds to get in and get out of a house. I am told that the nest box idea propagated by Mohammed Dilawar is working fine.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi