PDA

View Full Version : Mother and Child

Sabyasachi Patra
30-01-2009, 08:36 PM
I came across this Malabar Giant Squirrel with its kid. It was interesting watching it call its kid to the same branch. After some time the kid came and both of them started feeding. Unfortunately, a car wanted to pass and I had to move. In Parambikulam Wildlife Sanctuary, private vehicles are not supposed to be allowed, but I found maruti 800s, Indicas freely moving into the tunnel road.

Canon EOS 40D, Canon EF 400mm f2.8 L IS USM, ISO 500, f2.8, 1/25th second, bean bag on Safari window, mirror lockup. This is a full frame shot. The light was very low, so I used the 400mm at f2.8

Let me know what you feel about this image. I hope you people like this one.

Aditya Panda
31-01-2009, 01:50 AM
A rare moment! I've never seen a giant squirrel-with-baby image, let alone in real life, before. The bean bag has done a very good job of stabilizing your artillery and f/2.8 hasn't robbed away much DoF. The DoF is just right.

Cheers,
Aditya

Rakesh Dhareshwar
31-01-2009, 08:19 AM
Amazing DOF @ 2.8 Both of them seem reasonably sharp .
The moment captured is a beauty !! Just love it.

Sabyasachi Patra
31-01-2009, 10:03 AM
This image was created in low light conditions. The light levels were going down as the canopy was quiet dense. I was pointing my lens up. Since I was driving, I moved up the window, placed the bean bag and shot. Without mirror lock up this image would not have been possible.

In such low light conditions, the 400 f2.8 really comes into its own. Give a bean bag or tripod and it will give you some sharp images. If you are able to achieve critical focus, then the f2.8 aperture helps.

It was the first time, I saw a malabar giant squirrel with kid. I have some nice experiences with this species.

Chitrita Chatterjee
03-02-2009, 11:01 AM
very beautiful....
the eyes are so expressive.... U caught a beautiful, tender moment.