PDA

View Full Version : No place is safe....

Roopak Gangadharan
28-01-2010, 03:38 PM
Hundreds of years of evolution results in a species. Unique in many ways- most exhibit some extraordinary traits, habits or behavior patterns. Mostly these have something to do with the habitat they live in. It is like an umbilical cord between mother nature and its creation, tied in delicate and symbiotic balance. The Niligiri Thar is as surefooted an animal as you will see. It negotiates the steep slopes, tricky crevices and unsure footing of the mountain sides they inhabit with an ease which is unthinkable to the best of those Rock climbers and Mountaineers. Yet this gift of mother nature in grace and skill takes a clumsy and cruel fall when the simplest of malevolent human cunning goes to work. I have read in the papers today of how the Poachers in kollam distict in kerela place banana leaves covered with oil at the opening of a Cave located on a steep cliff in which a flock of the Niligiri Thar lives .When the goats race into the cave they land on the oiled leaves this makes them lose their grip and they slip into the gorge below, where the poachers will be waiting.

http://www.hindu.com/2010/01/28/stories/2010012856330400.htm

Roopak

Mrudul Godbole
28-01-2010, 04:56 PM
I am amazed to see that how we humans can come up with such cunning ideas to meet our selfish needs. I wonder how the poachers might have thought of putting oiled banana leaves for the goats to slip, where mother nature had made them so efficient to negotiate the steep slopes.

I hope the forest department takes some strict actions to stop this act. Thanks for sharing the information.