PDA

View Full Version : Malabar Giant Squirrel

Mohan Raj
30-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I thought of sharing my picture here to see the colour difference in Malabar Giant Squirrels in different regions. This picture was taken at Siruvani in Coimbatore Forest Division during mid-day sun :tongue_smilie:.

Camera: Panasonic
Model: DMC-FZ28
ISO: 200
Exposure: 1/400 sec
Aperture: 5.0

I should have used a ISO 100.

WIKIPEDIA Info
The Indian giant squirrel, Ratufa indica, also called the Malabar giant squirrel, is a large-bodied diurnal, arboreal, and herbivorous squirrel found in South Asia.

The Indian giant squirrel is an upper-canopy dwelling species, which rarely leaves the trees, and requires "tall profusely branched trees for the construction of nests." It travels from tree to tree with jumps of up to 6 m (19.69 ft). When in danger, the Ratufa indica often freezes or flattens itself against the tree trunk, instead of fleeing. Its main predators are the birds of prey and the leopard.

Different geographical races, each distinctive in the colouration of its upper-parts, have been identified.
Ratufa indica indica
Ratufa indica superans
Ratufa indica dealbata
Ratufa indica maxima
Ratufa indica bengalensis
Ratufa indica centralis

Sabyasachi Patra
30-01-2010, 10:03 PM
I like the composition. Eye contact is nice. The sharpness is good. If light would have been on your side, then it would have been very nice.

Mrudul Godbole
30-01-2010, 10:42 PM
Nice pose and eye contact. Agree about the light. Thanks for sharing.

Bibhav Behera
31-01-2010, 09:44 PM
The composition is nice. The image is however noisy. Please do post the EXIF details too.