PDA

View Full Version : Black Crowned Night Heron!

Praveen Siddannavar
04-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Shot this at R'thittu on the weekend

Camera Model Canon EOS 40D, 100-400mm
Tv( Shutter Speed ) 1/500
Av( Aperture Value ) 8
ISO 250
Focal length 400mm
Handhed

Mrudul Godbole
04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Nice eye contact. Liked the catchlight in the eye. The details are nice. Would like to add some more space on the right. How is the sighting in R'thittu?

Bibhav Behera
04-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Nice sharpness. Wish you could have moved to the left a bit more to avoid the branch at the bottom.

Sabyasachi Patra
04-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Moving more to the right would have ensured a better eye contact. I wish the branch behind the head were not there. Sharpness is fine. I like the red eye.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Praveen Siddannavar
04-02-2010, 02:27 PM
Guys thanks for the comments, changing positions was difficult as I was in the boat, also I was in a hurry to proceed to Coorg our actual destination, the quick visit to R'thittu was for my daughters to show few birds:laugh:

Mrudul - you can find plently of birds there, however you must go early @8am or even earlier, 8:30am is the first boat dept, take a open top. 30 mins is not sufficient so you have to book for 90 mins for serious photography, 30 mins ride will cost 250. If you go early you can photograph lot of small birds in the garden.

The disadvantage is light, its quite harsh after 9am. But the place is worth for photography of different species of Storks, observing their behavior, building nests, Nesting, storks in flight and with catch and so on.

Mohan Raj
04-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Praveen, Good Photograph.

Looking like a Adult, approximately 64 cm long and weigh 800 g. black crown and back with the remainder of the body white or grey, red eyes, and short yellow legs.

Reminds me this .. Black-crowned Night Heron (Nycticorax nycticorax).
Nycticorax, means "night raven", and refers to this species' nocturnal habits and harsh crow-like call.

Thanks Praveen and Wikipedia for sharing.

Anuradha Nautiyal
04-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Hi Praveen,

I simply loved the shot. Its come out very clear and sharp.. love the colour in the eyes. I can understand what you mean by not being able to move ..

TFS
Anu