PDA

View Full Version : ID Pls

Sadananda Koppalkar
04-02-2010, 10:28 PM
SS: 1/1600S
Av: f/8.0
ISO: 400
FL: 400
I sighted this bird for first time. I dont know the name of this please let me know. It just gave me 5 secs to capture ...it flew off and didnt visit again. The length of this bird was 20 cms.

Anuradha Nautiyal
04-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Oh what a lovely colour .. sadly I do not know the name.

Thanks for sharing
Anu

Bibhav Behera
04-02-2010, 11:49 PM
This is a Golden Oriole. Wish you could have managed some more space between the top of the head and the branch in the background.

Mohan Raj
05-02-2010, 07:27 AM
The bird is Golden Oriole - Male.

Wikipedia Info
The Golden Oriole or European (or Eurasian) Golden Oriole Oriolus oriolus, is the only member of the oriole family of passerine birds to breed in northern hemisphere temperate regions. It is a summer migrant to Europe and western Asia, wintering in the tropics.
It is a bird of tall deciduous trees in woodland, orchards or parks. The neat nest is built in a fork in a tree, and contains 3-6 eggs. The food is insects and fruit, found in the tree canopies where the orioles spend much of their time.
The male is striking in the typical oriole black and yellow plumage, but the female is a drabber green bird. Orioles are shy, and even the male is remarkably difficult to see in the dappled yellow and green leaves of the canopy.

Satyabrata Mishra
05-02-2010, 07:57 AM
This yellow colored bird is known as Eurasian Golden Oriole.There are several verities of Orioles but the most prominent yellow colored and commonly found are three types.

1.Eurasian Golden Oriole.(Oriolus oriolus)the head is complete yellow with a black eyebrow covering the eye.

2.Black Hooded Oriole.(Oriolus xanthornus) Same as the golden Oriole but the head is complete black.

2.Black Naped Oriole.(Oriolus chinensis) Same as the golden Oriole but there is a black marking covered the eye only and further stretched to thge back of the head.

Sabyasachi Patra
05-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Mohan and Satyabrata,
Thanks for the information.

Sadananda,
I like the composition. I wish the there were some space between the head and the drumstick. A twist of the head towards you would have been fantastic. Having said that, I understand the difficulty in capturing this bird. This bird is swift and doesn't sit at a place for a long time. So overall, a good job done. I hope you get another shot at it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,
Sabyasachi

Vishwanath M K
05-02-2010, 09:50 AM
Yes It is a Golder Oriole ! Nice Picture

Mrudul Godbole
05-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Nice image. The colours and details are good. Agree about the space on top and the eye contact. You did well in the short time. Hope you get a better sighting soon. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the detailed information Mohan and Satyabrata.